Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ProDesk 600 G1 Desktop Mini PC

I lost my computer, or rather there is a suspicion that it was stolen. Can I find out his MAC address by serial number?  

Serial number:

[Personal Information Removed]

Product Number:

J9Y84ES

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I

I was told the MAC address by phone support.

Thanx 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

I doubt that HP would have that information for the MAC.  Here is a WiKi about the subject

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

In that page it states "A media access control address (MAC address) is a unique identifier assigned to a network interface controller (NIC)"  If the NIC is part of the motherboard hardware, then it is more likely to not change, however, it can still be manipulated by using software.  If the NIC that is being used is not an integrated part of the motherboard hardware, it will not be of much use to find a lost/stolen laptop.

Even if you had the MAC of the laptop, you would most likely need to be on the same network to see if it is active.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended
I know, that's all I'm counting on. But where can I go to HP for help?
HP Recommended

and there are  2 or more, MAC ,  one for each nic, some PC have 3 (due to addin cards NIC etc)

one for ETHERNET  NIC.

one for wifi if fitted. card or even USB NIC)

and what is there when lost?

a. PC can be upgradedto ANY NIC you want and all have  unique MAC.

seems to me snatching at straws,  MAC is not it, and would be your job to do that for inventory and that is lost too.

the BIOS  main info page has the PCs actual serial. only that matters for sure.

if stolen the PC is now behind a firewall (theirs) that hides the MAC, (DHCP)

here is the answer for , why not.

https://www.quora.com/Can-websites-see-your-MAC-address?share=1

that means the the POLICE can see that PC behind any normal working router firewall

so the point is MOOT.

see?

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

Thank you. I am aware of all this. I just need to find out the MAC address of the network card built into this computer, so that at least I could scan our network to find it in it, then send a request to the companies providing the Internet. Most likely, the people who took it are not aware of the manipulation of the poppy address.

HP Recommended

I understand what you want.  It just is not going to happen.  That information is not kept on every computer sold.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I

I was told the MAC address by phone support.

Thanx 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.