Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion Slimline s3200n Desktop
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32-bit)

Hi, recently I changed the Ethernet card.The onboard one was acting up intermittently. I installed a PCI Gigabit network card but have not seen any improvement.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01154945

I called technical support regarding the new card. They suggested updating the driver to the latest one from their website, not the automatically loaded driver. Still no change after this. 

The on-board networking card has been disabled via the device manager, and according to the device manager the new network card is "working properly". The "ethernet status" dialog box indicates the speed is 1.0Gbps.

I have a 300Mbps internet plan yet still have not been able to get over 90 Mbps on this PC. Sometimes it can be as low as 55Mbps.  I also called my ISP. They then informed me they would send me a new modem. After installing the new modem, there is no change on this device. I can get over 200Mpbs with my laptop and other devices. 

Are there any other settings I should check?  Any suggestions as to the next steps? 

What about under the Advanced Tab in the Device Manager. Should I check/change any specific settings there?

Thanks Bas

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Basman99 

Where did you install your new card on the 12 years old machine, where do you plug the LAN cable to ? Please try to change the LAN cable to CAT5e or CAT6.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hello BH, 

I an using  new cat 6 cables that came with the modem and router. The network card is installed in a PCI slot that was previously occupied by the fax modem card.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.