Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Compaq Presario CQ1 1000's
Microsoft Windows Server 2008
Hello. I am in the process of creating a home domain. I know I should use more computers in the domain but that's not the point. I was just wondering if someone could help me find a network driver for Server 2008 for my computer(or someone could build one but I heard that takes a lot of effort). The original network driver became unknown when I installed the os. I am also aware that I should use a newer computer for this but I can't afford to buy one now and I am having too much trouble creating one on a virtual machine. I also searched all over the internet and there are drivers for my computer but not for the os I have. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S - computer is in subject if you haven't already guessed.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

It's possible the file did not extract the drivers to their folder.

Do this, and then try manually installing the driver.

Download and install this free file utility.

1st file listed is for 32 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you download and install 7-zip, download and save but do not run sp46403.

Right click on sp46403 and select 7-Zip from the list of items.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name of sp46403.

Then try manually installing the drivers, but browse to the location 7-zip extracted the sp46403 driver file to.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

See if this ethernet driver works...Try manually installing it if the auto install method doesn't work.

Original driver for the Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller solutions.

File name: sp46403.exe

HP Recommended

This driver did not work because it was incomptible with either the computer or OS. Thank you though. Also, i wasn't quite sure what you meant by "Manual Install".

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I would try manually installing the driver then.

To manually install the driver, go to the device manager and click on the ethernet controller needing the driver.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the above driver file.

That folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp46403.

Make sure the Inlcude Subfolders box is checked and see if the driver installs that way.

Then reboot the PC.

HP Recommended
While following your steps the SW setup folder was not created. Could it be that the folder is hidden and not showing up on the browser for driver software?
HP Recommended

Hi:

It's possible the file did not extract the drivers to their folder.

Do this, and then try manually installing the driver.

Download and install this free file utility.

1st file listed is for 32 bit.

http://www.7-zip.org/

After you download and install 7-zip, download and save but do not run sp46403.

Right click on sp46403 and select 7-Zip from the list of items.

Have 7-Zip Extract to: and let it extract the file into its folder name of sp46403.

Then try manually installing the drivers, but browse to the location 7-zip extracted the sp46403 driver file to.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!! I also used your method to install the wireless network adapter driver too. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.