Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP compaq 8000 Elite - VS642UA
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I feel like such an ignoramous among you experts.
I just got an HP compaq elite 8000. I've never put together a desktop
before. I pushed the power button and the green light came on.  I pushed
it again to turn it  off but the green light stayed on. Is this normal?
I can't tell anything from the monitor because my VGA cable is damaged
and I have to get another.
Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Caution - I hope you did not turn the PC off by unplugging the power cord. That could cause all kinds of problems.  The preferred method of turning off the PC is to use the OS to turn it off.  On Windows, there is a choice to turn it off after clicking on the "Start" icon in the lower left corner.  Depending on the version of windows, the Start icon  might look like a flag or a globe.

The green light on the back will stay on for only a short time if the power cord is unplugged. The green light should stay on when the PC is still plugged in but turned off.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Normally a system will turn off with the power button by holding it in for perhaps 5 seconds or maybe somewhat longer.  It is not like a light switch where it turns back off by pressing it again.  BTW: that is not the recommended way to turn it off. 

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime, not knowing what's going on with my Pc due to the inoperable VGA cable, I unplugged the power cord from the back of the unit.
Could you tell me what is the preferred method for turning off the computer? When the power is  off, does the little green light go out?

HP Recommended

Caution - I hope you did not turn the PC off by unplugging the power cord. That could cause all kinds of problems.  The preferred method of turning off the PC is to use the OS to turn it off.  On Windows, there is a choice to turn it off after clicking on the "Start" icon in the lower left corner.  Depending on the version of windows, the Start icon  might look like a flag or a globe.

The green light on the back will stay on for only a short time if the power cord is unplugged. The green light should stay on when the PC is still plugged in but turned off.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply. As this PC was being started for the first time it is, according to other sources, in set up mode and disconnecting the power, they said, shouldn't have hurt anything (I hope).  Due to the damgaged VGA cable the monitor is not working so I couldn't see what was taking place with the set up mode. I'm now waiting for a replacement VGA cable to arrive so I can continue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.