Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 20-f200a
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Pavilion 20-f200a, All-in-one

AMD E1-2500 APU, RAM 8.00 GB

Recently install fibre internet which gives >200.00 Mbps download but this PC will only run at 6.00-6.50 Mbps download and actually a faster upload (<20.00). The PC is cabled direct to the modem.

I have tested the PC connection via wifi and this is no better, maybe a bit slower.

Other devices on wifi from the same modem will run at 200-230 Mbps download.

Is this problem related to network drivers? There are no updates available from HP, possibly as the PC may be no longer supported.

I have variously tried a new cable, rebooted the modem, reset the modem. I have disabled free AVG and switched to Windows Defender. No improvement.

Can anything be done to get the internet speed up to the expected level? All/any suggestions appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Ronnovis -- does the documentation for your "fibre" connection cite "200 Mbps download" and "20 Mbps upload" speeds? If so, you are getting the "upload" speed that you should be getting.

Read the labeling on the length of your Ethernet cables.

Be sure to use a cable labelled "CAT 5e" (good up to 1000 Mbps), not "CAT 5" (good only up to 100 Mbps).

Also, a "CAT 6" cable (good over 1000 Mbps) is good.

I have tested the PC connection via wifi and this is no better, maybe a bit slower.

Strange. Disconnect all other computers from your modem, so that none of them can consume any of the 200 Mbps, and rerun the "speed-test".  Maybe, one of them is monopolizing all your download speed?

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ronnovis -- does the documentation for your "fibre" connection cite "200 Mbps download" and "20 Mbps upload" speeds? If so, you are getting the "upload" speed that you should be getting.

Read the labeling on the length of your Ethernet cables.

Be sure to use a cable labelled "CAT 5e" (good up to 1000 Mbps), not "CAT 5" (good only up to 100 Mbps).

Also, a "CAT 6" cable (good over 1000 Mbps) is good.

Strange. Disconnect all other computers from your modem, so that none of them can consume any of the 200 Mbps, and rerun the "speed-test".  Maybe, one of them is monopolizing all your download speed?

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, I was unaware of the restriction of a cat5 ethernet cable. I have now purchased a Cat6 cable and now have speeds of around 100Mbps.

Appreciate your help

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.