Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mijuluto
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Printer scams

HP Recommended

I had the experience on Thursday 24th May 2018. I was on HP official support site and had a web chat with 'Grace' who took my number and promised someone would call.. within minutes I has a call from Bowling Green, KY USA. Guy told me he could sort my problem no worries and that it was down to malicious hackers on my system..! Impossible as I have a robust firewall. He took over my Mac using helpme.net and GoToAssist and opened Terminal trying to convince me that the printhead issue on my HP 6830 Officejet was down to malicious software put there by hackers. Kept saying 'don't worry.. you just have a nice cup of tea and all your problems will be sorted... by the time we have finished, your printer will be as good as new'.

After 5 minutes of trying to convince me that he knew what he was talking about, he told me it call be sorted for $149 at which point I told him where to go and put the phone down and chucked him off my computer. Let me stress... this all started with a web chat on HP's offical support site at support.hp.com which I got to via the printer utility.

2 REPLIES 2
Cheron-Z
Retired
Retired
4,444 4,348 250 488
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Mijuluto

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
0 Kudos
Mijuluto
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Never had any response to this... quite frankly shocked that HP are not taking this seriously... in case I didn't make it clear, the implication is that HP's official support website was hacked by scammers and innocent consumers could have been defrauded.. 

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation