Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY h8-1540t CTO Desktop P
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Help!!   When I updated to Windows 10, my Wi-Fi quit working.   I have a good Wi-Fi connection for other devices in the house.   In network & security, I can only see the ethernet option.   I can see the Wi-Fi adapter is the Ralink RT-3290 802.11 bgn wi-fi driver which is a windows 7 driver.  I tried updating the drivers in the HP assistant but the reply is that I have the latest drivers (that HP has....)   I have looked everywhere and am unable to find the windows 10 driver.   Thanks everybody.  Jim 

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Here is the W10 driver for that model wifi card. 

If it doesn't get the wireless to work, I suggest you purchase an external USB wifi adapter that has support for W10.

package contains the driver installation package for the Mediatek (Ralink) wireless LAN Controller in the supported  models running a supported operating system.

5.0.57.0 Rev.A     Jun 18, 2015

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71571.exe

OPERATING SYSTEM(S):
Microsoft Windows 10 32
Microsoft Windows 10 64

LANGUAGE(S): Global

DEVICES SUPPORTED:
802.11n Wireless PCI Express Card LAN Adapter
Mediatek MT7630E 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
Ralink RT3090 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Ralink RT3290 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter
Ralink RT3592 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Ralink RT5390 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
Ralink RT5390R 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter

Here is the link to the W10 bluetooth driver as well...

This package contains the driver installation package for the Mediatek Bluetooth in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

11.0.761.0 Rev.A    Jun 18, 2015

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71572.exe

HP Recommended

To Paul_Tikkanen, 

Thanks so much for the info.  

When i ran the .exe file you provided, it set up the C:SWSETUP folder. I wasn't sure what to do with the folder but ran the setup.exe.  It started to execute then just went away.  I restarted my computer just in case it worked but no luck with a wireless connection coming up in the Network&security and same ol drivers present on my system. 

So questions: 

1) is there a different way I can get the drivers updated using that SWsetup folder files?

2) Am I stuck having to buy a new PCI card and win 10 drivers because HP failed to support a fairly new HP desktop? 

3) Any suggestions on which type of wi-fi card and drivers I should buy that will work plug and play

HP Recommended

I need to add that I ran the setup.exe in the SP71501 folder

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, there is a way to manually install the driver.

Go to the device manager and click on the Ralink wifi card.

Click on the driver tab.  Click on Update Driver.

Select the Browse my computer for driver software option, and browse to the driver folder that was created when you ran the file.

The folder will be located in C:\SWSetup\sp71571.

Make sure the Include Subfolders box is checked, and the driver should install.

Then restart the PC.

The problem is not with HP, but with Ralink (Mediatek).

That was the one and only W10 driver they made for that card, and what is happening two years down the road, with all these new updates to W10, some hardware no longer works because the manufacturers won't update the drivers.

I use this USB wifi adapter...works just fine on all versions of W10.  I just updated to the newest Fall creators update.

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Adapter-AE3000/dp/B007ZLGXA8

I don't know why this thing has gotten so expensive.  I got it for $35.00.  I bought 3 of them.

HP Recommended

Paul, 

Appreciate your help and additional info, especially about the USB device if I need it.   In your last post, you said to go to device manager >> network & security >>>then select my ralink wi-fi card.   That is not a choice. All I have under that area is the following: 

Ralink Not here.jpg

Also, the ralink isn't a card, I think the Ralink wifi is just part of the mother board (?)   

I won't bug you again but thought I would give this one more try. Tenacious on this stuff.  HA ha . 

Thank you again.  Jim 

HP Recommended

Anytime, Jim.

Your screenshot shows that the Ralink wifi card has completely disappeared from the device manager, which is a common problem with that wifi card, and any subsequent updates of W10 from the original version that came out in July of 2015.

It is a removable card in a PCIe x1 holder with a thin, delicate antenna wire connected to it.

So, that is why it isn't working, and the driver can't find it.

Unfortunately, I don't know you can make it reappear either.

If the only way you connect is via wireless, then I recommend you get an external usb wifi adapter.

I like the one I have, but there are many others out there to choose from.

HP Recommended

Hi

Hidden Devices.

Network PolyGlot.png

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

This package contains the driver installation package for the Mediatek Bluetooth in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

11.0.761.0 Rev.A    Jun 18, 2015

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71572

It's not that driver I have problem with Bluetooth Keyboard EVERY DAY YEARS! Thank you!hp_bl.PNG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.