Aaron1234567890
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Realtek 8188EE WLAN gives less than 25% signal no matter where I connect

HP Recommended
HP bs0xx laptop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased an HP bs0xx laptop about a year ago. Everything works fine--with one exception. The WLAN that came installed is trash. It has never connected to any WiFi AP with more than 25% signal strength. In most cases, the signal is so weak that it won't even stay connected. I have verified the latest drivers through both HP and Realtek support (v2023.66.330.2018). I have tried the connection by setting the laptop within three feet of the WAP, but the connection still shows <25% signal strength. I have an Asus N10 USB b/g/n USB NIC that I have plugged in, and it gets full strength everywhere. Now, I do not intend to use an external WLAN adapter when I purchased this device with internal hardware. How do I go about getting this replaced while still under warranty (thru December 10, 2018)? Unless you have troubleshooting methods outside of those that I have tried as a 22-year system administrator.

3 REPLIES 3
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,944 2,571
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Aaron1234567890,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

This is a wonderful place to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips.

I'll be glad to help you 🙂

Awesome job on diagnosing the issue correctly and performing smart troubleshooting before posting your question on HP forums. Kudos to you on that score.  

I recommend you change the channel on the router and check whether it helps.

If you continue facing the issue, I recommend you update the BIOS and the chipset driver from the below link and test.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

If the issue persists, I am sending you a private message suggesting the next course of action.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Aaron1234567890
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

OK, I have changed the channel for the network--5Ghz and 2.4Ghz. No change. Still will not connect full strength. Keep in mind, this also occurs in hotels, Starbucks, McDonald's, and airport wifi hotspots. This isn't isolated to just my home wifi. As I've researched it, I see where there are a LOT of issues with the Realtek 8188EE WLAN PCIe device, and they're similar to what mine is exhibiting.

Also, I did not receive a PM with any further information. I will await your response. But since the device is still under warranty, I'd like to get that card replaced ASAP.

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,944 2,571
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Aaron1234567890,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

I have sent the private message again.

Please check your private message icon in the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation