Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
TouchSmart 600 Quad
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have a HP Touchsmart 600 Quad desktop which I purchased from HP Jan. 7, 2011.  I recently again started using it as my main computer after several years of using a newer HP laptop.  My question/problem is that it is not picking up/recognizing my high speed router newtwork (GaryNet - 5G), and only picks up the slower speed (GaryNet).  The desktop shows recognition and full signal strength on the slower speed band.  My laptop picked up both bands at full power in the same location as the desktop.  Is this because of the hardware?  The desktop has a WV176AV Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R).

Thank you for any response, Gary Guertin

P.S. Putting an extender close to the desktop, on my Netgeat Nighthawk does not change anything.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Gary.

There are plenty of USB dual band N and AC wifi adapters to choose from.

I would check on Amazon, and look at the customer reviews on any models you are interested in, and you can still use the bluetooth feature on your Ralink card for bluetooth.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

If it is not picking up the 5.0 GHz wifi band, then the adapter's hardware only works on the 2.4 GHz wifi band.

What is the model of the wifi adapter listed under the Network Adapters device manager category?

I did a search of WV176AV Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth(R), and find zero information about it.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul, I agree with your observation.  All the information I could gather from my HP Touchsmart 600 desktop is; "Ralink Tech, Wireless-N LAN card and Bluetooth, WV176AV".  Now the question is:  Is there an external adaptor or device I can purchase which will give it 5.0 GHz capability?

Thanks again, Gary

HP Recommended

There are plenty of USB dual band N and AC wifi adapters to choose from.

I would check on Amazon, and look at the customer reviews on any models you are interested in, and you can still use the bluetooth feature on your Ralink card for bluetooth.

HP Recommended

Paul,

I ordered an received from Amazon USB Wifii adaptor with Maktron USB Wifi Adapter stand and external antenna.  It did pick up the Garynet - 5, 5GH network and connected, but the speed test shows the speeds are still downloading at the 2.5GH or about 15 vs it should be up about 90 or 100.  What do I do now, return the adapter and give up because the motherboard won't process the internet a 5GH speeds?

Help, Gary

HP Recommended

to get high speeds with USB / AC adaptor must use USB 3.O port i did a test had diffrence with USB 2.0 port 

HP Recommended

Hi, Gary:

Unfortunately, I don't know why you can't get more speed than you are.

Even in a USB 2.0 port (none of my desktop PC's have USB 3 ports)...I have a Linksys AE3000 USB dual band wifi N adapter giving me download speeds of 140 MBPS, and on my other PC with USB 2.0 ports, I have a Linksys WUSB 6100 AC adapter getting the same.

While I agree that they would perform better in a USB 3 port, I am satisfied with the speeds I am getting.

It's not the motherboard causing the botteneck though.  

One of my PC getting those speeds is 8 years old, and the other is 7.

If there was no difference in download speeds with the external adapter, you may as well return the item if you can.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,  "CLOSE THE CASE"  Thanks to you I have a fix with the adapter I purchased.  What happened is I called HP Freindly Service and they remoted my HP TouchSmart 600 Desktop. We found that everytime I shut down or restarted it was rebooting at the lower 2.5 GH speed "Garynet" instead of rebooting at the "Garynet - 5G" 5GH speed.  We reconnected it to the 5G one and it seems to work great now.  I'm getting download speeds of 176.  Even if it slips back to the slower speed I know now just to re-connect it to the faster one.  The adapter works fine on both bands.

Thanks again,

Gary

HP Recommended

To prevent that issue from occuring, all you need to do is to 'forget' your 2.5 GH speed "Garynet" connection.

There are a few ways to do this.

https://www.digitalcitizen.life/how-delete-or-forget-wireless-network-profiles-windows-10

That way your PC will always connect to the Garynet - 5G network, if you have checked the box to automatically connect to this network.

Enjoy the blazing fast wifi speeds.

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.