Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Desktop PC 880-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hey guys so I need some help. 

Recently I became aware that my desktop was pulling in rather slow internet speeds through both the Ethernet port and wireless adapter. 

At first I thought it was my ISP. So I had them come out and the took a look. I pay for a 1 gigabit download speed. I have gotten around 800 - 900 MBs before on my desktop.

They ran some tests and replaced the modem/router because I was only reviving 500 MBs from their tests, after the new router install I’m currently getting 600 MBs so they are still working on increasing my speeds back to where they are supposed to be. That all happened tonight.

However before they came out I did some troubleshooting of my own. My desktop is only getting 130 MBs. I also have an HP Omen 15 (2019) that gets about 350 MBs. This is the same with my phone as well. Still these aren’t acceptable speeds if I’m paying for 1 gig. 

Half my problem is my ISP. But it doesn’t seem to matter what I do I’m stuck at 130 MBs on my desktop. These are troubleshooting steps I’ve already taken:

1. Disable and enable the Ethernet device

2. Run commands in power shell to reset internet catalogs

3. Reset the network through Windows Settings.

4. Install the latest drivers for the Ethernet device.

5. Upgrade my cat5e cables to cat6.

6. Install an intel Ethernet adapter. (only averages 170 MBs)

7. Install HP Support Assistant and make sure everything is up to date. (I did this a few months ago)

I may have missed a few steps but so far I’m stumped as far as what is going on. Nothing else is randomly using up data on my desktop.

Im not sure is HPSA is what causes the issue with my net speed or if it was the Windows 10 version 1903 update. I did read that version 1903 can “break” networks which is the version I am running but it’s also the same version my laptop is running as well.

Any advice on what I could do to try and help fix this issue will be greatly appreciated!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@LinkinForcer wrote:

''' However before they came out I did some troubleshooting of my own. My desktop is only getting 130 MBs. I also have an HP Omen 15 (2019) that gets about 350 MBs. This is the same with my phone as well. Still these aren’t acceptable speeds if I’m paying for 1 gig. ...

@LinkinForcer 

Call your ISP back and ask it to fix at their end. Please don't fix your devices, you may break them.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Check and see if the devices getting 350 is megaBITS or BYTES.

1000 GigaBITS equates to 125 MegaBYTES - So maybe the 130 you're getting on the desktop is actually in megaBYTES not BITS.

There's 8 bits per byte, so you need to divide the bits amount by 8 to get the bytes.

HP Recommended

Just an update for everyone. So my PC actually started to act weird. My control panel freaked out and wasn’t even showing me the proper data in the uninstall programs feature. It look like it was treating each program as if it were a song on iTunes. Very weird. I said screw it and rest the PC to factory settings.

I started to get speeds of around 700 MBs which I was very happy about. This was around 11 PM. That stayed that way until about 4:30 PM - 5PM the next day. I started slowly losing speed again. It is now 10:30 PM and I’m reviving about 300 MBs at this time. This is obviously due in part to the crappy service Suddenlink provides.

My PC seems fine now and I’m completely blaming my ISP for the internet performance and not my PC any longer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.