Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp pavillion 23
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Been paying Comcast for a year to receive their BLAST SPEED 100-150, after many slow inconsistant speed complaints the tech said today my wireless network card is not capable of of receiving that speed. What do I need to do to get this speed on my HP Pavillion 23 immediately? No improvement after updating drivers recently for my Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RenaeW, welcome to the forum.

The Tech was correct.  Your Atheros card is only capable of speeds up to 80 Mbps.  See below:

Figure : Wireless card - top view
Wireless card - top view
  • Interface type: PCI express half-length mini card
  • Data transfer speeds: up to 80 Mbps
  • Transmission standards: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Antennas: 1 internal antenna
  • Single band: 2.4 GHz (b/g/n)
  • Security:
    • Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) supports modes that have 64-bit, and 128-bit keys
    • Support for WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK in Windows

I believe that this card will do what you want.  However, I suggest that you contact Intel's Tech Support to verify that it will be the best card for your system.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

1. Thanks for your most resent response of Intel Wireless Network 7260. HMWG.R DUAL BAND it's GOLDEN.

2. While purchasing that  network card, I also want to improve my RAM AND GRAPHICS-AMD RADEON HD8400 to the absolute best also. Can you send me a link for both of those also. 

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @RenaeW.

I am sorry to say that there is no way to upgrade the graphics.  There is no PCIe slot on the motherboard.  Here is the Motherboard Specifications page.  Look at the section titled "Expansion Slots" to see what is available.

As for the memory, here is the memory that is recommended by Crucial Memory.  If they recommend it, it is guaranteed to work.  If you have further questions about their memory, you should contact their Tech Support.  They are very helpful and have very good products.

HP Recommended

Hello Old_geekster,

I ordered that intel 7260R Dual band wirelesswith bluetooth you recommended, however my system only has one internal antenna 2.4 is there something else I need to connectup the 5ghz band? 

HP Recommended

@RenaeW, according to the information on the wireless card it was supposed to come with two anntenae.  I suggest contacting the seller to see what they have to say.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.