Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE-500f
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Currently my network speed on this PC (when directly connected to the cable modem)  is about half of the current wireless speed on other devices (current router is N class & older).  So I think the issue is with the PC and not the modem or router.  That said, I am planning to install a new AX class Netgear router next week for better wireless speed and range.  Question is:  Should I invest in getting a new network wireless card installed (or other network component) for this PC to get better speeds on it?  All drivers show as up to date.  Current netwk adapters installed are: 802.11n wireless LAN card (Ralink Tech; Media Tek Inc driver); Msft Teredo Tunneling Adapter; Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller; Symantek TAP driver.  I don't know what some of these are / do.  Thank you so much for any advice / opinions.  Stay well everyone.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since your PC doesn't have any USB 3 ports to use a USB 3.0 to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, you can try a PCIe x1 gigabit ethernet adapter in one of the free PCIe x1 slots.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Network Card (TG-3468), PCIE Networ...

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you want to upgrade the wifi adapter, you will need to purchase an external dual band USB adapter, or an Internal PCIe x1 wifi adapter that you install in one of the free PCIe x1 slots on your PC's motherboard.

Your PC's ethernet adapter has a max throughput of 100 MBPS, and the wifi adapter has a max throughput of 150 MBPS.

The wifi card is an old model HMC form factor wifi adapter, and there aren't any name brand AX wifi adapters that are made in the HMC format.  Not to mention they require two antenna wires be connected to them, and from what I can tell from the specs, your PC only has one.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for this information.  It is unlikely I would be putting this PC onto the wireless - I would just continue to connect it via a cat 5/6 ethernet cable into the router.  If I stay with that hard wired configuration is there any way to increase the throughput of the ethernet adapter?  Not sure where to find it in config - only see the wifi network adapter.  Thanks again and really appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Since your PC doesn't have any USB 3 ports to use a USB 3.0 to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter, you can try a PCIe x1 gigabit ethernet adapter in one of the free PCIe x1 slots.

Something like this...

Amazon.com: TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Network Card (TG-3468), PCIE Networ...

HP Recommended

Thank you again.  Wonderful support!!  I really appreciate it.  Stay well.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You stay well too!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.