Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP pavillion 500-415no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is it possible to upgrade the Realtek 802.11 b/g/n to Intel Dual band wireless AC 7260 for the desktop? Will this new network card work with Windows 10 OS? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You would only be able to upgrade the internal wifi card to a dual band wifi card if it has two antenna wires connected to it now.

If it does, I recommend you upgrade to the Broadcom equivalent model, because an Intel card may not work in a PC with an AMD chipset.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo  HP part # 724935-001.

You should be able to find the above model wifi card on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

If your PC only has one antenna wire connected to the card, I recommend you either purchase an internal PCIe x1 wifi card if you have an available PCIe x1 slot, or a USB dual band wifi adapter.

The motherboard illustration for your model PC indicates that it has 3 PCIe x1 slots.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Thank you for this. I see there is just one antenna wire. In the spec for this desktop, it says "supports both single and dual antenna configurations". Does this mean that if i get a new antenna, and a Broadcom BCM4352, it would work? Or is it simpler to just buy a PCIe x1 wifi card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you got another antenna and the Broadcom card, you would be OK.

But the question is...where do you install the second antenna?

It has to go in a certain place inside the case.

If you know where that would go, then that would work.

I think it would be a lot easier to just remove the currently installed card, tie up the antenna wire to some other wires with a zip tie, and install a modern PCIe x1 wifi adapter that comes with external antennas.

There should be a an internal 9-pin USB connector on the motherboard to connect the cable the Bluetooth would work from.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.