Level 2
27 9 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Why Does My Computer Die at Only 40%???

HP Recommended
HP 15 TS Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am currently experiencing battery problems. For some unknown reason, my computer starts dying at 40% instead of reaching at least 20% or lower in order for me to plug in the charger, and I do not know why. Most of the time, I wait until it reaches about 20% before I can charge it, but now it starts automatically shutting down whenever it reaches 40-something %, and I do not know why this is the case.

The good news is, it is reaching to 100% now; on the side note, I feel like now that it reaches to 100% (as it is supposed to), that when it reaches a certain amount of percentage (ex: 50%, or 45%), it starts to lose batteries more quickly, or it starts dying pretty quickly, and I don't know why.

I would like for my computer to reach at least 20% before I can charge it; and I still don't understand why it starts to shut off at 40%. Is there any way I can extend the battery life, or make any adaptations or changes to the battery? I can't risk having my computer unexpectedly dying on me at just 40% when I am doing my homework, or any important type of work, so please help me ASAP. I would appreciate it very much.

Thank you.

2 REPLIES 2
Big_Dave
Level 15
28,006 27,535 1,810 5,049
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

It's unclear what you mean by "dying".

Go into the Control Panel -----Power Options and select then HP recommended power plan and save the change.

Now go into the Power Plan advanced settings.  Now look at the hard disk shut off setting and determine your value. After that go to battery and review the actions for each of the options and make your own personal choices for actions.

Batteries do have a finite life and charge cycle life. Did you ever check to see if your particular model (not stated) has a larger capacity battery for purchase?

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Angel_114
Author
Level 2
27 9 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, Dave, I just wanted to inform you that I clarify myself when I say that my computer tends to automatically shut down once it reaches a certain percentage (ex: 40%). And I do not know why it does that, because most of the time, I usually wait until it reaches about 20% or less before I can charge it.

What's strange though is, now that it reaches 100%---there was a time when the computer would only charge to about 80% or 90%, and then it would stop charging---I notice that the percentage tends to stay at 100% for more than a minute---about 5 or even 10 minutes later, I would notice that it still reads at 100% even after a little while. Then slowly but surely, it would start going 99....98....so on and so forth.

I also note that the battery span is a little shorter, because most of the time when it used to reach 100%, I would have about 4 hours or so of having a lot of battery before it gets to a certain percentage that I can begin to charge it. Now these days, when it's at 100%, it would give a certain time, such as 1 hour, 15 minutes or so---and I wonder to myself, how can my computer have an hour and 15 minutes before it starts losing batteries? The same thing goes for when it's at 80%; sometimes when it's at 80%, or 75%, or 65%, or so on and so forth, it would tell me that I have about 50 minutes left before I should start to charge it.

I apologize if I am not making much sense, or if I sound a little confusing, but these are the types of strange behaviors that I am noticing with my computer battery charger. As of right now, I am charging it, but when it reaches 100%, it would tell me that I have about 1 hour, 10 minutes or something of that sort before it can start losing batteries. Once again, I'm not sure if I am making much sense, and I apologize for that, but I would like to thank you for getting back to me so soon.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation