Ashokji
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

WiFi Connection

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23 All in One PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Desktop All in One PC is connected to internet using Wifi. PC is located on first floor and router is located on 2nd floor. Distance between two devices is approx. 50 Ft..My home is 2500 SF.

My router from Comcast has two wireless bands; 2.4Ghz and 5.0Ghz. I am connected using 2.4Ghz connection. This connection is OK most of the times but it is slow and drops off sometimes. My PC does not see 5.0GHz connections. So I can't connect to it. Rest of my devices( I Pads, iPhones, Latop PC) are using 5.0 Ghz WIfi connection.  I moved my desktop unit closer to the router on 2nd floor; about 10 ft away. No change to connectivity to 5.0Ghz WiFi or improved performance. 

COMCAST(My internet provider) tells me that my PC may not have capability to connect with 5.0Ghz WiFi???????

To improve my WiFi connectivity, COMCAST Tech recommended TP Link home plug.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline-ethernet-TL-PA7020-KIT_V2/dp/B01MUBC5F2?th=1

I went to Costco and they recommended ($199 this month)

https://www.costco.com/Netgear-Orbi-Mini-2-Pack-AC2200-Tri-Band-WiFi-System.product.100398382.html

Please advise:

1. Is poblem with my PC or any software (driver etc)? How do I correct it?

2. What solution you would advise from two devices mentioned above? Would it help in seeing 5.0Ghz connection or improve my wireless connectivity?

Thank you.

Ashok

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,194 119,371 19,499 29,796
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

The tech from Comcast is probably right. 

Many HP PC's only come with single band (2.4 GHz only) wifi adapters.

What model wifi adapter does your PC have?

If you don't know, go to the device manager, click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category, and there you will find the name and model number of the wifi adapter.

Let me know, and I will confirm whether or not it is a single band or dual band card.

The TP Link device is only going to work if you run an ethernet cable from one of those plugged in units to the PC.

The 2nd one will help wireless reception,  but that is pretty expensive.

You could go a cheaper route, and get a range extender.

https://www.lifewire.com/best-wifi-extenders-4043312

Ashokji
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for a prompt response. I followed your direction and determined that my PC has Qualcomm Atheros AR 9485 WiFi  Adapter that only supports 2.4 Ghz. I will look for extender you suggested and others and see how it works out.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,194 119,371 19,499 29,796
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, that wifi adapter is a single band 2.4 Ghz only wifi adapter.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation