Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP elite slim line 8000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello;

can i access the internet  at my house with a WiFi adapter only ??         My mother-inlaw got an hp elite 8000 for christmas but she does not have internet at her house, and she does not have an ethernet card in the computer,  can I bring her unit to my house and access my internet with her WiFi adapter,  is that  possible  ?,

If that is not possible what other options do I have ????  If any.       My Mother-inlaw only uses the computer for letter writing and writing novels (Books )   and she does not use the internet at all.

Thanks

Beep o1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The WiFi adapter should already be setup.  Once it is in the presence of the WiFi router in your home, the choice to connect  should appear in the internet icon in the lower right next to the clock.  Just click on the icon and then enter the password when it asks for it.

Here is a guide

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-wifi-windows-10

What I meant when stating "you might be opening a can of worms if this computer has never been connected to the internet before."  If that computer has not connected to the internet or does not normally connect to the internet, it most likely is not protected.  Even if protection is installed, it would not be up to date.  If this is a once in a life time or on very infrequent occurrences, Windows Defender (already installed as part of Windows ) is adequate for the protection.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

The short answer is yes - if there is WiFi at your house and the password is known.

The question would be - if she never uses the internet at home, why does it need to brought to your house to connect to the internet?  Is there something from the internet that needs to be downloaded or installed?

BTW: you might be opening a can of worms if this computer has never been connected to the internet before.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thank You The Old Man;

is there a link or web page that will have instructions for the set up of the WiFi Adapter for accessing the internet by WiFi,?? (THAT YOU KNOW OF ).  Yes i need to download from the internet  some programs for her computer.      The family purchased the computer for her so none of us is aware if the computer has been on the internet before.

what do you mean " I would be opening a can of worms if i used the WiFi adapter for the internet ???.    I will have to bring her unit to my house for I have internet and WiFi in my house ( With a known password )

Thanks for your assist, you are being very helpful.

Merry Christmas

Beep01   :generic:

HP Recommended

The WiFi adapter should already be setup.  Once it is in the presence of the WiFi router in your home, the choice to connect  should appear in the internet icon in the lower right next to the clock.  Just click on the icon and then enter the password when it asks for it.

Here is a guide

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-connect-wifi-windows-10

What I meant when stating "you might be opening a can of worms if this computer has never been connected to the internet before."  If that computer has not connected to the internet or does not normally connect to the internet, it most likely is not protected.  Even if protection is installed, it would not be up to date.  If this is a once in a life time or on very infrequent occurrences, Windows Defender (already installed as part of Windows ) is adequate for the protection.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Hi the old man:

Thank you,  thank You,       your last post SOLVED  my problem and question.

I am sending you 5  THUMBS UP   and  5  KUDOS

Have a very Merry Christmas

Again Thanks

Beep1

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.