Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-08xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. So I bought this computer early January 2019 and the wireless network just out of the blue stopped seeing any possible wireless connections at all. There is this red cross on the wifi icon. ( nowifi.png )I have tried to set my phone and tablet as a wireless network as well but no luck, they are not recognised either, so the fault is not in my router. (Besides, other devices in our home can be connected to our wifi no problem.)

The WiFi has worked flawlessly these months, up until a week ago when this happened.

I have been googling and trying to find answers but every single solution I have tried has not worked. I have never had problems with my WiFi before this, it just stopped working one day. It's driving me insane at this point.

Currently using my phone connected to our WiFi, sharing it to my desktop through USB-cable. Which works but is very tedious.

Anyone having any good advice?

I have checked all internet related updates, my wireless card, the lot. System updates as well. Everything is up to date.

/ Joki

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@-Joki-,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

A red X over the wireless icon in the system tray means the wifi is either disabled or does not have a driver installed. 

Use the Device Manager to see if there is a driver installed and that the device is enabled.

Let's try these steps to resolve the issue: 

Use the Network and Internet Troubleshooter (Windows 10)

The Network and Internet Troubleshooter tests the network for problems and attempts automatic repairs for any issues found.

1. Right-click the wireless connection icon in the notification area, then select Troubleshoot problems. The Windows Network Diagnostic window opens and the troubleshooting process begins.

Figure: Task bar and wireless network icon

NOTE: This is an image of a connected network, your icon may look different depending upon the status.

2. After automated troubleshooting has completed, read the information on the screen.
    • This describes problems found, fixed, or actions necessary to resolve the connectivity problems.

• When complete, follow any recommended actions and try connecting again.

• If problem persists or there were no issues found by the troubleshooter, close the results screen and continue to the next step.

IconWindows 10 Network Status Icon Description

If there is a red x over the network status icon, this means that there are no wireless networks currently available.

If there is a star on the network icon, this means you are not connected to any network

Connected - No Internet access. This icon with exclamation mark means you are connected to network but no Internet access. You should check the router or modem to see any Internet connection problem.

A successful connection will look like this (this doesn’t take the different signal strengths into account).

Restart the PC

1. Restart the computer with the wireless issue.
  2. After the computer has restarted, try connecting to the Internet again.

Manually connect to the wireless network (Windows 10)

These steps walk you through the process of manually verifying you are connected to the correct wireless network.

1. Locate the wireless networks icon in the Windows notification area.

Figure: Wireless icon in the notification area

2. Check the current status of the network connection, depending on what the icon looks like. The status can help identify the cause of the network issue.

icon status definition

A working connection with a strong signal (does not take the different signal strengths into account).

If a star displays on the network icon, this indicates you are not connected to any network.

If a red x displays over the network icon, this indicates there are no wireless networks currently available.

If an exclamation mark displays over the icon, this indicates you are connected to a network but do not have Internet access. Check the router or modem for Internet connection status or issues.

3. Click the wireless icon, then confirm that the computer is connected to the correct network.
    • If the computer has a working connection to the correct network, try connecting to the Internet again.

• If the computer does not have a working connection to the correct network, continue to the next step.

4. Click your network name in the list, and then click Connect.
  5. Enter the network security key or passphrase (often located on a label on the bottom of most routers), or if your router has a WPS button  you can also connect by pushing that button on the router.
  6. Click Next, and then try connecting to the Internet again.

Uninstall and reinstall the network adapter through Device Manager

1. If you are using an external USB wireless network adapter or cellular broadband device, unplug it, restart your computer, then plug it into a different USB port after Windows opens.
  2. In Windows, search for and open Device Manager.
  3. Double-click Network adapters.
  4. Right-click the name of your wireless network adapter, then select Uninstall.

NOTE: If the name of the network adapter is missing from the network adapters category, the network adapter hardware is not connected or the device driver cannot Plug and Play. If this happens, shut down the computer and check the hardware connection to your wireless adapter hardware.

Service the computer if problems are found.

The name of the adapter itself will vary, this is dependent upon what is installed on your PC.

5. When the Confirm Device Uninstall screen is displayed, click OK and wait for the device to be uninstalled.

Do not select "Delete the driver software for this device"

6. At the top of the Device Manager window, click Action, then select Scan for hardware changes.

7. The computer reinstalls the wireless network, and the wireless network adapter name is shown in the Network adapters category.

8. After the network adapter name shows in Device Manager, close Device Manager and restart the computer.
  9. Try connecting to the Internet again. If problems persist, continue to the next step.

Reinstall the network adapter using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 8, 10)

Reinstall original software or drivers using the HP Recovery Manager. If your PC does not locate the Recovery Manager installed, click the 'next step' button below.

1. In Windows, search for and open HP Recovery Manager. If prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation. If prompted by User Account Control to allow the program to make changes to the computer, click Yes.
  2. Under Help, click Reinstall drivers and/or applications and wait for Recovery Manager to generate a list.

Figure: HP Recovery Manager

3. From the combined list of applications and drivers, with the drivers listed first, select the checkbox next to the drivers you want to reinstall.

NOTE: The name of the adapter varies, depending on which one is installed on your PC.

Figure: List of drivers to reinstall

4. When the Installation is completed message displays, click OK.

Figure: Installation is completed

5. Close all open applications, restart your computer, then try connecting to the Internet again.

Use the Windows Command Prompt to change network settings to identify wireless connection issues with the computer.

1. Search Windows for 'command prompt', in the list of results right-click Command Prompt, then click Run as Administrator.

If a User Account Control screen displays asking if you want to allow the app to make changes to your computer, click Yes.

2. Type the following commands one at a time, pressing Enter on the keyboard after each one.
    • netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled

• netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

• netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

3. Type netsh int tcp show global, press Enter, then make sure all settings are disabled except for Receive-Side Scaling State in the TCP Global Settings.

4. Close Command Prompt, reboot the computer, then try connecting to the wireless network.

Set BIOS default and restart

1. Restart your notebook.
  2. During startup, press F10 repeatedly until the BIOS menu is displayed.
  3. Once the BIOS menu is displayed, press F9 to restore factory defaults.
  4. Select Yes to confirm.
  5. Press F10 to save changes and exit.
  6. Select Yes to confirm.
  7. The computer restarts using the default settings.

After your computer has restarted once in Windows test your wireless connectivity. Try connecting to the Internet again. If there is still a problem continue to the next step.

For more details, please follow this support document - HP PCs - Wireless Network and Internet Troubleshooting (Windows 10)

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help. Unfortunately, none of these have worked for me. 

However, when I tried the command prompt solution, I ended up with the things that needed to be disabled, weren't disabled. I assume that is an issue? Here is the log.

cmdlog.png

HP Recommended

@-Joki-,

Let's start off by running a test on the Wireless card from F2 (Please remember to capture the failure ID for further assistance. 

If the test passes, I would suggest here is to perform a system reset on the PC.

You may follow the steps suggested in this support document for - HP PCs - Resetting Your Computer (Windows 10)

I hope this should help. Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Take care and have a great day!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi

Just to add to Jeet_singh's answer....

Power on your PC, press Esc (repeatedly), then F2 at the prompt.
Choose System Tests (Fast Test does a 4 minute hardware check).
HOW DO I USE DIAGNOSTICS?

HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows is a Windows-based utility that allows you to run diagnostic tests to determine if the computer hardware is functioning properly. The tool runs within the Windows operating system in order to diagnose hardware failures. HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows comes pre-installed on new HP computers, but if not on yours, download here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp93001-93500/sp93457.exe

HWT WiFI.png

And some basic command lines to try...

getmac
netsh wlan show interfaces
netsh wlan show drivers
netsh wlan show profiles

ESC  and then F1 get's you here.

It could be a failed piece of Hardware.

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

Thank you for the input. The wireless module check passed! So I doubt it's a broken hardware. This is the result of the commands you provided;

cmd getmac.pngcmd show drivers.pngcmd show profiles.png

The thing left for me to do is a system reset, which I haven't done yet. But after sending this message, I will give that a try. (Doing a system reset leaving my personal files.)

Please assist me further if the logs point at anything specific that I have yet to know of because I'm not a professional. 🙂

Thank you so much for the help so far.

HP Recommended

Hi

Well it suggests you have an adapter installed.

So to connect you would want to have 4 values ish.

ipconfig -all

Wireless LAN adapter WiFi:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11 bgn Wi-Fi Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 48-48-48-48-48-27
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 08 May 2019 13:58:46
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 09 May 2019 13:58:46
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

So I ping

C:\>ping 127.0.0.1

Pinging 127.0.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 127.0.0.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128

Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

and I ping my gateway etc.

EVEN

C:\>ping bbc.co.uk

Pinging bbc.co.uk [62.24.151.225] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 62.24.151.225: bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=252
Reply from 62.24.151.225: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=252

Ping statistics for 62.24.151.225:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 32ms, Average = 15ms

So now to piccies.....

Network PolyGlot.pngEth IPv4.png

If in doubt please ask.

HP Recommended

I unfortunately don't quite understand what to do with the information you provided, could you give a more step-by-step kind of information? Excuse my nonprofessionalism.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, correct.

Name: HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-08xx
Serial number: [edited]
Product number: 4GP21EA#UUW

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.