Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion p7-1534 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all, thanks for taking the time to read this. My farther has a Pavillion p7-1534 Desktop PC. In April I bought a new Netgear AC750 router because the old linksys router was very outdated (probably 10 years). I got the router working on the PC, ipad, smart TV, and my windows 10 toshiba laptop without any problems. I then updated the PC from windows 8 or probably 8.1 to windows 10 naively assuming that the PC was supported because it was just purchased a little under 4 years ago. I don't think I checked the internet again after the windows upgrade and I left without returning for a month, so I think this is the issue but apparently there has not been interent (wifi or ethernet) since then. It doesn't appear to be the router i was on the Netgear support line for some time yesterday going through everything they suggested and nothing changed. The computer recognizes the proper wifi signal and connects, but then still says "no internet, secured". I don't remember where but I also remember seeing something about an improper or unidentified IP address as well. The Netgear support tech guided me through manually putting in the IP address and codes and whatnot as part of the many different steps we took without any success. At the end she said that was all they could do and since all other devices were working properly it must be the computer and likely windows 10 so I needed to contact HP Support.

What are my options? I assumed I could just download a driver on my laptop since it has interent and use a thumdrive to save it and install it on the PC and that this would be easy to figure out but it doesn't seem like thats the case. Is my only/best option going back to windows 8.1? Its been over a month since the upgrade so I don't know how to go back, and would prefer not to if there was another option.

Thanks for any help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This W10 IDT audio driver normally gets the audio to work.  Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

Glad you were able to get everything else to work.

Normally when you install W10, the recovery doesn't work, which is why the PC didn't revert to W8.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

My understanding is that there is no W10 driver for the atheros ethernet controller your PC has, so that is probably why it doesn't work.  I do not know of any fixes either.

The product specs for your PC indicate that it comes with a Ralink RT5390 wlan card.

There is a W10 driver for that model wifi card that you can try, and hope that it works.

package contains the driver installation package for the Mediatek (Ralink) wireless LAN Controller in the supported notebook models running a supported operating system.

5.0.57.0 Rev.A

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp71501-72000/sp71571.exe

Rather than reverting to an older operating system, if everything else is working fine, then the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external usb wireless network adapter.

If you use the ethernet more than the wireless, then purchase an external USB to RJ-45 gigabit ethernet adapter.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the input. We want to avoid spending any money on it since its just a problem with the free windows update. I ended up deciding just going back to an older version of windows was best. Since its been more than a month it was a little more difficult I had to do some googling but eventually found that doing a reset would bring it back to the original format it was bought on (I believe windows 7). I didn't mind losing any files there is virtually nothing on it to begin with any important documents, pics, or anything. My dad just uses it to check email occasionaly order things and get recipes. So I did the reset and to my confusion when it finished I signed back on and it was still windows 10!? Why did it do this? Even crazier, the interent works now! Now that would be the end of the problem. I would be confused on why I can't get back to windows 7/8 but it wouldn't really matter. However, the audio doesn't work now (which I've seen is a very common problem again with the windows update because apparently HP doesn't provide a driver or something?). This was probably going on already before I just didn't notice it without internet. So now is there any easy free fix to get audio to work OR if not then how do i get back to a previous windows version since the reset did not? Note: the reset did work because it erased google chrome and a couple other things that were installed. There were two options when I reset and one was to keep saved files but lose installations and the other was to reset everything. I chose to keep files (even though as I did there isn't any real need to because there aren't any crucial files on the computer). If there is no audio fix for windows 10 then can I reset again and this time not choose to save files? Will that bring me back to Windows 7 or 8 where everything works again?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

This W10 IDT audio driver normally gets the audio to work.  Install and restart the PC.

This package provides the IDT Tempo High Definition Audio Driver for supported desktop models that are running a supported operating system.

File name: sp71717.exe

Glad you were able to get everything else to work.

Normally when you install W10, the recovery doesn't work, which is why the PC didn't revert to W8.

HP Recommended

Thank you for that file it fixed it (at least enough for this situation)! The front headphone jack doesn't seem to work but I have external speakers that I just plugged in the back and they work after installing that.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.