Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion P6000 series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

WiFi wireless adaptor missing, unable to connect wireless internet. The original computer came with Windows 7, but upgraded to Windows 10 but the wifi driver missing. What should I do? HP website gives wifi driver for windows 7 but unable to install that due to windows 10 combatibility issues. 

Need help

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@hitech75,

Thanks for engaging in HP support Forums! This is a wonderful location to converse with the community, get assistance and find tips! I see from your post you are having issues with the Wireless drivers not working on your HP Desktop PC after upgrading to Windows 10. Don't worry I'll do my best to help you with this.

After reviewing your post, I did go through the product specifications and found that this PC was shipped with Windows Vista.

On the Software and driver download page, I see that the drivers are available for Windows vista and Windows 7.

Unfortunately there are no drivers available for Windows 10.

Just wanted to check how did you install Windows 10? Did you purchase a set of recovery media from HP or did you install a retail version of Windows.

Are you not aware HP doesn't support retail versions of Windows. 

That said, If you wish to continue using Windows 10, then you would need to rely on the generic drivers that from Microsoft.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

If you want you can revert back to previous version of Windows either by ordering a set of recovery media for your PC.

Here's what you need to know about obtain another recovery media for yourself: Click here

If the issue still persists, a good workaround is to procure a wifi USB dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports. Then connect to the router with it. It is extremely cost effective and economical. You could get it for a song from a local Best Buy or Staples location or order one online at Amazon or Ebay.

I hope this answers your question and do let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. I will try your suggested solution and let you know

HP Recommended

This is the serial number:4CE033085G. My models came up with windows 7. Then couple of years back microsoft offered free windowns 10 upgrade. Everthing was fine until last week. the WIFI driver missing. I do have hp support assit but it is not doing any update.

Can you give me the correct link to re-install the wifi driver?

Thanks in advance

HP Recommended

@hitech75

It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out,

I'm the Flower_Bud & I'm at your service.

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

As mentioned by Jeet_singh, since Windows 10 drivers are not available on our website for your notebook model, you would need to rely on the generic drivers from Microsoft.

If HP Support Assistant does not show any available drivers, it means your notebook is updated. Since you mentioned that your notebook has worked earlier, you could try performing a system restore to an earlier date when your notebook was working fine: Click here to follow steps.

Refer to the steps mentioned below this topic "Restore your computer when Windows cannot start normally"

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. If I got to microsoft, it directs me to go to manufacturer's website to dowload wireless driver. After restart, it install the drive automatically. If I view it in device manager, there is an exclamation mark. means, it didn't install properly and doesn't show under internet connection.

Another question, how to check if the physical wireless adaptor went bad in my desktop? and how to replace it?

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@hitech75

Since the drivers are not available, I would suggest you install Windows Update to reinstall Wireless Drivers. 

If Windows Update is not available, please perform System restore as suggested,

To check if the Wireless Adapter is working fine, you could run a hardware test: 

Use the following steps to open the Component Tests menu.

1. Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

2. Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.

3. On the main menu, click Component Tests.

4. The Component Tests menu displays.

5. Select Network test.

6. Network Test - The Network Test checks your system to make sure that the network controller is functioning properly. This requires the network cable to be attached and connected to a network. The test will attempt to configure the network controller using DHCP and communicate with the DHCP server.

To run the test, click Network, and then click Run Once.

The Network test time is 1 minute.

Let me know how this goes,

Cheers!

HP Recommended

Hello,

I was trying to reset windows 10, but it failed too. The original machine came with windows 7. I don't have any backup. Is there any way I can able to download windows 7 or 10? 

Apprecate your help

Thanks, Venkat

HP Recommended

@hitech75,

Thank you for replying,

After reviewing your post thoroughly, I understand you are looking to revert back to the original Operating system which was shipped with the PC. Unfortunately, this is a old PC and we have stopped manufacturing it, hence the recovery media for this PC will no longer be available. The last resort would be to install a retail version of Windows.

The best option I would suggest here is to go ahead and upgrade your PC.

I hope this information helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. 

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.