1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Wifi stops when usb hard disk is connected

HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-405nd
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Hello all,

Wifi on my Pavilion stops when I connect an external hard disk to my pc. Only way to get wifi back is bij disconnecting the disk. It only happens when I use the usb connectors on the front of the pc. And even then it doesn't happen with every disk. I have one disk (Western Digital Elements) that always has this problem in both usb ports (front). And one disk (Western Digital Elements) that only causes the problem when used in one of the usb ports. 

I know I can just use one of the other ports, but I have a lot of hard disks and I dont want to keep an administration of which disk works on which USB port.

Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Aage

1 REPLY 1
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 952
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @Aage_M

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are losing wireless on your computer when you connect the external HDD on your computer, is that right?

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried any troubleshooting steps on your own?

Have you tried to update all the drivers using HP Support Assistant?

Have you tried the external HDD with any other computer?

Recommend you open device manager when the HDD is connected and check for unknown devices. 

If there any unknown devices listed, right-click on it update the drivers. 

Run HP Support Assistant to make sure all the drivers are updated. Click here

Found this Intel article which states that USB 3.0 can interfere with 2.4GHzwireless networks. 

Try connecting the external HDD to the rear of the computer and check if it helps or check if you can get a longer USB cable for the HDD. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation