cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nasalis
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Will attaching a 1200ac/1750ac/1900ac WLAN adapter to a USB 2.0 port limit its throughput?

HP Recommended
Pavilion 27-n143d All in One Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I'm thinking of upgrading the WLAN capability of my Pavilion 27-n143d All in One Desktop PC to 802.11ac by adding a USB type WLAN adapter. Considering the fact that this machine has 4 USB 2.0 ports and only 2 USB 3.0 ports, my question is:

Would attaching a 1200ac/1750ac/1900ac WLAN adapter to a USB 2.0 port limit its throughput?

5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,383 119,560 19,530 29,861
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If it is labeled as a USB 3.0 device, yes the thoughput will be less on a USB 2 port.

How much less, I do not know.

Nasalis
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

What I mean, is this:

Is anything above 480 Mbps even possible with an adapter that is connected to USB 2.0? I see 1200ac adapters advertised as USB 2.0 devices (e.g. Asus USB-AC53 Nano), but wouoldn't the USB port create a bottle neck then?

Based on my elementary knowledge it would make no sense to attach anything faster than a 600ac device to a USB 2.0 port, but maybe there's a trick?

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes, the USB 2 port would create some kind of a bottleneck.

But I don't know if a 1200 ac adapter in a USB 2 port would go all the way down to 433 MBPS.

It may get to 600 MBPS or more.  I am only speculating because I don't have an AC adapter that has a greater throughput than 433 MBPS.

Distance from the router is also a key factor.

I have this model connected to my HP desktop in a USB 2 port.

That is all the PC has.

https://www.linksys.com/us/support-article/?articleNum=192818

The device has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS.

The PC with this device is in the basement of my 2 story house, and as the crow flies, probably 30 feet from the router (on the 2nd floor) down 2 stories.

When looking in the Network & Sharing Center section in the control panel, Windows reports 4 out of 5 bars, and a connection speed of 325 MBPS.

I'm satisfied with that.

I have a linksys AE3000 dual band N adapter plugged in to another desktop PC around 12 feet from the router, it has 5 bars signal strength and is connected at its maximum throughput of 450 MBPS.  That PC also only has USB 2 ports.

Nasalis
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I've gone ahead and purchased an Asus USB-AC35 Nano (it's only marginally more expensive than an AC600 adapter) and attached it to the USB 2.0 port of my computer. My Computer is about 18 feet away from a sattellite of my Netgear RBK-53 setup. The router, to which the NAS is attached, is on the floor below - distance maybe 25 feet.

What is the best way to determine the throughput? I'd like to know whether there is in fact any difference compared to the built-in n-type adapter.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can see the current connection speed of the wifi adapter by going to the Windows control panel>Network and Internet>Network and Sharing Center>under the View your basic information and setup connections, on the next section down, right side, click on your active network (wifi and your SSID) and it will show the current throughput and how many bars signal strength you have.

The connection speed is not the same as the download speed.  Download speed is limited to what you are paying for.

The connection speed should be how fast you can transfer files over your local network.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation