JoshSmith384
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Wireless LAN drivers for Elite HPE-180a Desktop PC

HP Recommended
Elite HPE-180a Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All, My inlaws have just found out that their desktop does not have any wireless setup on their pc so they cannot connect to the internet wirelessly.

So I have gone in and done all the recommended troubleshooting steps and im unable to install the drivers for the wireless card.

i have gone to this location to the get the original Ralink 802.11n Wireless LAN Card drivers/exe file

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-pavilion-elite-hpe-100-desktop-pc-seri...

I have downloaded the exe and attempted to install on the pc, it did not install and the error message had no useful information

is their another way to install these drivers or do I have this all wrong and need another set of drivers?

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,150 119,327 19,487 29,781
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am pretty sure that model does not come with built in wireless networking, which is why you can't connect to the internet wirelessly and the Ralink wifi driver doesn't work.

HP puts all drivers on every model in the series' support page, whether or not that specific model has the hardware for the driver.

Here is how to tell if the PC has built in wifi without taking it apart.

Go to the device manager.

Click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category.

If the PC has wireless, and the wifi driver is installed, you will see an Intel ethernet adapter listed there, and some model wireless network adapter listed there.

If the PC has built in wifi and the wifi driver is missing, then you would see a device listed in the device manager labeled as a Network Controller appearing under an Other Devices category in the device manager.

So, if you do not see either a model wifi adapter listed under the Network Adapters device manager category, nor do you see a generic device labeled Network Controller, then the PC does not have wireless networking capability.

The easiest thing to do to add wifi to the PC, would be to purchase an external USB wifi adapter.

0 Kudos
JoshSmith384
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

thank you Paul

i have done all those checks myself and thought exactly the same thing until I saw the sticker on the side of the case.

it has 802.11 b/g/n/ wireless lan card if memory serves.

my suggestion to the pc owners will be the externl card path much easier and less time consuming to resolve.

0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,150 119,327 19,487 29,781
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

If you don't see either of those things in the device manager that I mentioned earlier, then the internal wifi card has most likely failed.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation