Andrew314
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Wireless connection has totally disappeared

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p6-2330 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday my desktop computer was hanging and unresponsive. I rebooted, and all wireless connectivity was gone. The wireless icon no longer appears in the notification area. Instead, I see the ethernet icon with a red X. When I mouse over it, I get a message that says, "Not connected - No connections are available". When I open the Network and Sharing Center, it doesn't even list a wireless option. And no wireless adapter appears in Device Manager.

My other devices (tablet, netbook) connect to the wireless network with no problem, so the issue is not with the router, ISP, etc. I'm using the netbook to type this, since there is no way to get a wired connection at this location (I'm currently house-sitting and can't change the setup).

The HP troubleshooting sequence was utterly unhelpful and totally fruitless; it continually assumed that I had a wireless icon, etc., but I spent an hour plugging my way through it, to no avail.

What in the world happened, and what should I do?! Thanks for any help you can give!

4 REPLIES 4
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 952
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Greetings @Andrew314,

Welcome to HP Forums and Thanks for the post. 

I understand that the wireless adapter is not listed in device manager and you are unable to access the internet over wireless, is that right?

Kudos to you for trying to troubleshoot the issue on your own.

Not to worry, I will be glad to assist you. 

Have you tried to download the driver from HP Website?

Is there any unknown device listed in device manager?

Based on the product number shared by you, there are no drivers available for Windows 10 on HP website. Click here.

If you are able to access the internet over ethernet, please run HP Support Assistant on your computer, so that it will try to install any missing drivers if available. Click here to know more about HPSA.

If the issue persists, as you mentioned that it was working fine earlier, perform a system restore on your computer to an earlier date when it was working fine. Refer to this HP Article for assistance. 

If the wireless adapter is still not getting listed, please open your computer and reinsert the wireless card and check. 

For other troubleshooting steps, please refer to this HP Guided Troubleshooter.

Keep me posted. Good Luck. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Andrew314
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @Chimney_83,

Thanks much for your assistance; in answer to your questions/suggestions: 

• Indeed, the wireless adapter is not listed in device manager, and I am unable to access the internet over wireless.
  • I have tried to download the driver from the HP website; however, it does not list one for Windows 10. I downloaded the Windows 8.1 version, but it would not install on my system because it "does not meet the operating system requirements"
  • There are no unknown devices listed in device manager
  • At present I cannot use ethernet because of the setup at the place at which I'm staying for the next few weeks
  • I'm afraid I already tried a system restore to a point when I know it was working--and it still doesn't show up

To remove and reinsert the wireless adapter, I'll need to get a smaller screwdriver than the one I currently have. I'll let you know what happens once I do so.

Thanks again,

Andrew314

0 Kudos
Chimney_83
Retired
Retired
8,121 8,112 487 952
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply and trying the suggested steps. Please do reseat the wireless card and check.

Alternately, try to install the Windows 8.1 drivers in compatibility mode and check if it works for you.

Once you have the wireless driver downloaded on your computer, right-click on the file and try to install the driver in compatibility mode. 

Keep me posted. 

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Andrew314
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi everyone,

Thank you again for your suggestions. Just to bring closure to this issue--it turned out that the motherboard was failing and that was why the computer could no longer see the wireless card. 

Thanks again for your help.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation