Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
750-150xt
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My HP envy 750-150xt desktop is currently using Broadcom BCM43142  802.11 bgn Wifi adapter, which only supports 2.4GHz. I wonder how I can get a compatible upgrade for 5GHz wireless. Also, can you provide instructions on how to install the card if possible?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The first thing you need to confirm in order to upgrade the current wifi card to a dual band one would be to make sure there are two antenna cables connected to the Broadcom wifi card in there now.

If there is only one, then you can't upgrade to a dual band wifi card, and the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external dual band USB wifi AC adapter.

Here is the service manual for your PC.  There isn't a procedure to R & R the wifi card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06087806

The wifi card will be laying flat on the motherboard, with one or two thin and delicate antenna cables connected to one or both of the gold terminals.

The card should be held down by one philips head screw.

Let me know what you find, and if there are two antenna cables connected to the wifi card, I will give you a suggested upgrade.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

The first thing you need to confirm in order to upgrade the current wifi card to a dual band one would be to make sure there are two antenna cables connected to the Broadcom wifi card in there now.

If there is only one, then you can't upgrade to a dual band wifi card, and the easiest thing to do would be to purchase an external dual band USB wifi AC adapter.

Here is the service manual for your PC.  There isn't a procedure to R & R the wifi card.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06087806

The wifi card will be laying flat on the motherboard, with one or two thin and delicate antenna cables connected to one or both of the gold terminals.

The card should be held down by one philips head screw.

Let me know what you find, and if there are two antenna cables connected to the wifi card, I will give you a suggested upgrade.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response! I can confirm that there are 2 antenna cables connected to the wifi card.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

That is good news...You can upgrade to this wifi card...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0      HP Part #710661-001

That model should be readily available on Amazon or eBay. Shouldn't cost more than $20 - $30.

Do your search by the HP part number, not the model of the wireless card.

Before installing the Intel card, uninstall the Broadcom wifi and bluetooth drivers in the device manager.

Also uninstall the BCM bluetooth software in the windows control panel>programs, if it is also listed there.

Then shut down, unplug the PC and install the Intel card.

Use care with removing and replacing the antenna cables.

They are delicate.  The ends just snap on over the terminals.

HP Recommended

Appreciate the help! I searched for this product on ebay and amazon but this card seems to be for laptops? Just want to make sure that this is a card that I can use for my desktop.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

The card in your PC right now is for a laptop, as are most of the wifi cards used in desktop PC's for the last 7 years or so.

HP Recommended

Didn't know that! Thanks for the time, I really appreciate the help and prompt responses

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how the wifi card upgrade went.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.