Hitmanfan
4 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Would like to replace my wireless wi-fi card

HP Recommended
HP 870-213w
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I would like to replace the existing wi-fi card that came with my HP 870-213w. I found this great computer on sale on eBay and thus couldn't customize it like HP sometimes lets you when you buy from their site. So I got stuck with the Intel 802.11ac (1x1) Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.2 Combo but I want the 2x2 which is faster. Where can I buy the 2x2 model and when I install it do I have to remove all of the current intel wi-fi drivers from the computer before replacing it? 

Here's my computer model - https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05577988

3 REPLIES 3
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,639 24,291 2,836 10,376
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Hitmanfan, welcome to the forum.

Here is the AC wifi adapter that I have in my Omen X.  It works great with Gigabit Fiber Internet.

When it is installed you can go into the Device Manager/Network adapters/Update driver/Search automatically for updated driver software.  It will find the driver and install it.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
Hitmanfan
Author
4 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the info. So you're saying all I gotta do when installing the new card is go to device manager and update it that way after installing? I don't need to delete the drivers beforehand? 

And last question is, there's no way this card would work with this Omen right? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265NGW-867Mbps-WIFI-Bluetooth-4-2-NGFF-Car...

Only the 7625 will fit and work with my Omen desktop version? Newer ones can't?

0 Kudos
old_geekster
Level 16
Level 16
24,639 24,291 2,836 10,376
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for the additional information, @Hitmanfan.

@Hitmanfanwrote:

Thanks for the info. So you're saying all I gotta do when installing the new card is go to device manager and update it that way after installing? I don't need to delete the drivers beforehand?  This is correct.  You shouldn't have any problems if you don't delete the current driver.  If you feel more comfortable doing so, it certainly won't cause any problems.

And last question is, there's no way this card would work with this Omen right? - https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Intel-Dual-Band-Wireless-AC-8265NGW-867Mbps-WIFI-Bluetooth-4-2-NGFF-Car...

Only the 7625 will fit and work with my Omen desktop version? Newer ones can't?  I believe that the adapter in your link should work.  It is the same Form Factor as the AC 7265.

I am not an HP Employee!!

Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation