Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Z220 Small Form Factor
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The Intel 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection in my Z220 SFF desktop has stopped working. Windows 10 64 bit sees it in the Device Manager. i have downloaded the latest software and drivers from HP but installation stops saying that there is no Connection available. The light in the RJ45 socket is still on so it knows there is a cable connected.

The PC is cable connected to my router which is working fine with my lap-top.

Is this a board-level repair or can I put a card in an expansion slot to replace the connection?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is a link to the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z220-small-form-factor-workstation/526...

Drivers and some software for your Z220 SFF workstation PC are all available at the following URL.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-z220-small-form-factor-workstation/526...

"I downloaded Rel 20.4 Intel drivers (sp 73565.exe) on my lap-top but the installation failed"

Are you downloading the driver to a USB flash drive, connecting it to the  Z220 workstation  and copying it to the Z220 workstation for installation?

I notice that you are not answering all of the questions that I ask. If you don't do that, then I cannot help you.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Have you used the HP PC Hardwrea Diagnistics UEFI utility to verify that the onboard NIC is still working?

Have you verified that the LAN connection is enabled  in the Device Manager?

Is the cable you are using CAT4 or CAT5e?

Verify that is CAT5e. I have experienced no network connection issue before.

It was with the desktop I am typing this on and the reason was the wrong cable used.

Which LED is on at the LAN connector?  There are two of them. One is an indication of power. The other is an indication of the type of connection and it will be green and flickering if a GIGABIT connection is available.

Have you tried the previous Intel Network Connectiond drivers?  Use the following link.

R20.2_377786 Rev.A37.2 MBJul 22, 2015 DetailsDownload

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response.

Where do I find the Hardware Diagnostics utility?

In Device Manager under Network adapters there is Intel(R) 82579LM Gigabit Network Connection. In Properties - General tab it shows Windows is still setting up the class configuration for this device (Code 56). The Driver is Intel, 18/08/2015, 12.15.30.0. Under Resources it says This device isn't using any resources because it has a problem.

The cable is Cat5e. I have tried different ports on my router.

Both LEDs are on but the one on the left occasionally goes off/on. They both look yellow to me!

I downloaded Rel 20.4 Intel drivers (sp 73565.exe) on my lap-top but the installation failed.

HP Recommended

Further to above I have just tried to install ver 20.2 and it aborted with "Cannot install drivers. No Intel(R) Adapters are present in this computer". That was the same message with ver 20.4.

HP Recommended

Here is a link to the Hardware Diagnostics UEFI utility

Drivers and some software for your Z220 SFF workstation PC are all available at the following URL.

"I downloaded Rel 20.4 Intel drivers (sp 73565.exe) on my lap-top but the installation failed"

Are you downloading the driver to a USB flash drive, connecting it to the  Z220 workstation  and copying it to the Z220 workstation for installation?

I notice that you are not answering all of the questions that I ask. If you don't do that, then I cannot help you.

HP Recommended

I thought I had answered all your questions. Did you see my last post about ver 20.2?

I download on my lap-top, copy to a thumb drive, copy to the PC and install, or try to.

I have just downloaded the Hardware Diagnostics and tried  to install it. I got the message "Main Drive already has four partitions. Additional partition cannot be created".

HP Recommended

I went to check my partitions and increased my root partition by unallocated space. I then re-booted and my connection was working!

I don't begin to understand how or why, but I am now back on the net.

Thank you for your help. Installing a new software and driver suite (20.2 and 20.4) both failed as did the Hardware Diagnostics install.

I hope this is the end of the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.