daphs
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

computer sees all wifi will not connect

HP Recommended
HP TouchSmart 300-1020 Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

my computer see's all the wifi connections but refuses to use them...i have had it fixed, by techs, the guy gave me directions but they are too vague:

go to device manager-then network-then wifi then uninstall hardware  but that's not even how it's worded in device manager and which one is the hardware

sooo....

the first thing i actually get when i try to connect to the wifi is enter 8 digit pin but my xfininty router/modem doesn't have one so i click connect using security key...i type it in it says it's wrong (but every other device in the house works with it...it is not wrong)

it also refuses the xfinity wifi (there is another error it comes up with but i can't seem to bring it up right now)

this is not an issue where my modem needs a refresher signal...i have paid techs to fix, and it will connect for a few days  but then it just happens again if computer shuts down too long, and sometime it just happens. i need to know how to fix myself as it keeps happening. i have also reset to factory settings....no luck there either.

love this little computer but this is driving me nuts

3 REPLIES 3
Holly_J
Level 6
Level 6
410 390 23 136
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Take a look at this and see if it helps: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/Windows-8-1-and-Comcast-Routers-apparent-DNS-issue/m-p...

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
daphs
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

but

where

do i input this command....

Give the following commands to first, disable the Windows Scaling heuristics, disable TCP/IP Auto tuning and then enable RSS.

• Type the command NETSH INT TCP SET HEURISTICS DISABLEDand hit Enter
  • Type NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL AUTOTUNINGLEVEL=DISABLED and hit Enter
  • Type the command NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL RSS=ENABLED and hit Enter
0 Kudos
Holly_J
Level 6
Level 6
410 390 23 136
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Open a command prompt window, type (or paste) it in. 

Press the Win + R keys on your keyboard. Then, typecmd or cmd.exe and press Enter or click/tap OK. Type or paste in those commands there, one at a time, pressing Enter after each.

------------
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Please click the little thumbs-up dealybopper to the lower right if my reply was helpful to you. Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem. This will help others, too!
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation