Did you mean: 
moosehorn
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

no 5Ghz wifi

HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have 250mbps download speed at 5Ghz. This computer does not recognize 5Ghz wifi signals, only 2.4. With my Surface pad next to my HP I get well over 200mbps. The HP only seeing 2.4 gives me 30mbps. I've done the trouble shooting protocols from both HP and Microsoft to no avail. I can find no switch in any of the menus where I can turn on 5Ghz. I can't believe that this computer has no 5Ghz by design. Or is it so?

5 REPLIES 5
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
129,150 119,327 19,487 29,781
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Go to the device manager and click to expand the Network Adapters device manager category.

There you will find the name and model number of the wireless network adapter.

If the suffix of the model ends in b/g/n, it is a single band (2.4 GHz) wireless network adapter.

if the suffix ends in a/b/g/n or a/g/n, it is a dual band wireless network adapter.

Dual band wireless cards pick up the 5.0 GHz band automatically.

0 Kudos
moosehorn
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Thx, thats the problem. Where can i get a different driver to install? My searches only show updates leaving the single band intact.
0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The easiest thing to do to add dual band wireless to your PC, would be to purchase a dual band external usb wireless network adapter.

There is no driver that will add 5.0 GHz networking to the current wifi card.

It is a hardware limitation, not a software/driver one.

0 Kudos
moosehorn
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Well that explains a lot. Thx
0 Kudos
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation