Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h9-1183 Phoenix
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ever since updating to windows 10, I have had connection issues with the Broadcom adapter on this computer.

It does seem to be an issue with Windows 10.......I have spent too much time trying to make all the so called fixes to work.

I have decided to replace the Broadcom adapter in the computer. Where is it located on the board....also what to you guys consider to be a good adapter that is compatable with Windows 10...

Thankyou 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

The wireless card should be plugged into one of the PCIe x1 slots in an adapter.

It should have two delicate antenna wires attached to it, so be careful when working inside the PC, and when removing and reattaching the antennas to a replacement card.

If it only has one antenna, then the below cards won't work.

I would go for the Intel 7260 dual band N or AC (if you have an AC router) card with bluetooth.

Should be a direct swap.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                 HP Part # 710661-001

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0    HP Part # 717381-001

Check on eBay for used but tested and working cards, or new on Amazon.

Query by the part number, not the model of the card.

I have the 7260 N card in my HP 350 G1 business notebook, which I replaced the Broadcom card it came with.

Works fine on W10, and there are W10 wireless and bluetooth drivers for it on the Intel website for either the N or AC card.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

The wireless card should be plugged into one of the PCIe x1 slots in an adapter.

It should have two delicate antenna wires attached to it, so be careful when working inside the PC, and when removing and reattaching the antennas to a replacement card.

If it only has one antenna, then the below cards won't work.

I would go for the Intel 7260 dual band N or AC (if you have an AC router) card with bluetooth.

Should be a direct swap.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0                 HP Part # 710661-001

Intel Dual Band Wireless-N 7260AN 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 WiFi + BT4.0    HP Part # 717381-001

Check on eBay for used but tested and working cards, or new on Amazon.

Query by the part number, not the model of the card.

I have the 7260 N card in my HP 350 G1 business notebook, which I replaced the Broadcom card it came with.

Works fine on W10, and there are W10 wireless and bluetooth drivers for it on the Intel website for either the N or AC card.

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul for the response........I don't see 2 antenna wires coming off the card...I have the side off my computer and see four PCI cards installed on the motherboard.....your response was concerning laptops if I read correctly.

My computer is a  HPE h9-1183 Phoenix which is my home computer, my laptops are working fine...just having problems with this one...

Thanks

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I looked up the part number for the Broadcom wireless card your PC has, and it is the same Half Mini Card (HMC) type that they put in a notebook.

There has to be two tiny antenna wires on it somewhere in order for it to get any kind of reception.

If you look at the wireless card illustration on your product's specs page, that is exactly what I am referring to.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h9-1100-phoenix-desktop-pc-series/5154893/model...

Interface type: PCI-e half-length mini card socket
  • Electrical interface:
    • WLAN : PCIe 2.0, CEM1.1 compliant with no Vaux support.
    • Bluetooth: Compliant with USB 2.0.

Data transfer speeds: up to 300 Mbps
  • Transmission standards: 802.11 b/g/n
  • Antennas: 2 (internal)
HP Recommended

Ok...thankyou Paul.....I will look into it...and order a card...and get back to you with the results

HP Recommended
Thankyou Paul.....I will order a card and install....let you know how it turns out
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Were you able to determine where the card is located, and see the antennas?

Here is a similar discussion where another forum member changed the wlan card successfully on another model desktop pC.

I have only done that on notebook PC's so unfortunately, I wasn't able to tell you exactly how the wlan card is configured in your specific model PC.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Wireless-and-Networking/Upgrading-HP-Pavilion-Slimline-S5780T-...

HP Recommended

I found the card ......found the antenna wires first and followed them...card is barely visible behind the graphics card

Let you know how it works out.....did a network reset tonight, and the wireless has actually stayed connected for longer than 10 minutes...but I am going to replace the card anyways....it will eventually cause problems agian

Thanks for the help

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance, and looking forward to reading about your wireless card upgrade.

HP Recommended

Just an update....ordered the card...and installed, took all of 20mins...has been a month or so since installation, and all is working fine...no more internet dropouts...Thanks Paul for taking the time to respond to my inquiry

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.