Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion Elite HPE 500f ('upgraded')
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Very recently switched to AX router, installed via live Tech Support.

Prior router (bought when AC was brand new) installed by ISP tech.

This included cord from the "Ethernet" port of desktop to "LAN 1" of

that AC router...Tech assisting me install AX router ignored this step;

and when done, I asked "what about..." and "why do I/don't I still....".

She said this was a totally unnecessary step, no need".  But YOU are

the HP experts, so figured best to ask YOU?  Or is it really "no point"?

Or was it necessary for AC router but not AX router?  Or never was??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TexasIndian 

Let me try to answer your question more directly.

The Internet comes into your home from outside.  An Internet Service Provider (ISP) wires up a neighborhood or building for their service.  When you purchase their service, their tech comes over and connects a router to the cable that brings the service inside your residence.  You can not connect your PC directly to their service; instead, you have to connect through their router.  That is what you did previously -- you connected using a networking cable.

An AX router is no different -- it just operates WiFi in both the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges, creating more available channels.  If you want to connect through Ethernet (known as "wired") you still have to run a network cable from your PC to a port on the router.

If you are connecting via WiFi, then of course, you do NOT run a cable -- and that is probably what the tech means.  But, understand that WiFi speeds are a LOT lower than Wired speeds.  So, if you want the speed back that you got with the old router, then you need to reconnect using a networking cable -- just like you did with the old router.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello
I don't quite understand what you are saying ..
But if the question is simply to know if it is better to be connected by Ethernet, or by wifi
It depends, in general, the internet can be faster, wired
But it may not be very noticeable, everything will depend on the Ethernet and wifi cards of the router / internet provider's speed
The wifi is much more convenient, no cable required, so you can have the computer, quite far from the router.
If it works well like that, don't worry

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

what is the question here?

The AX only gains you speed if other things used on wifi need it and your ISP allows that speed.

otherwise is useless, (unless more security is wanted) some routers have horrible security sure.

none told.  no model of router told.

if something does not work right please tell that first. or at the end of post 1: add it.  now please.

wifi is complex and the 3 basic concerns  are , speed, range and security.

some folks even up grade to WPA3 security, see? (end to end)

key factors are

SSID , you pick the name so you see it in and instant, not netgear123.

WPA2 at least

a long password, (best  is not use dictionary words)

the wired PC will go full speed to your ISP

wifi will not, (1Gigalan me)  I can get 300Mb/s on AC. not 1000 possible.

the PC using wifi needs to be AC at least or AX  to go full speed,  going slow on 802.11b or n will be slower. 10x so.

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

@TexasIndian 

Let me try to answer your question more directly.

The Internet comes into your home from outside.  An Internet Service Provider (ISP) wires up a neighborhood or building for their service.  When you purchase their service, their tech comes over and connects a router to the cable that brings the service inside your residence.  You can not connect your PC directly to their service; instead, you have to connect through their router.  That is what you did previously -- you connected using a networking cable.

An AX router is no different -- it just operates WiFi in both the 2.4 and 5GHz ranges, creating more available channels.  If you want to connect through Ethernet (known as "wired") you still have to run a network cable from your PC to a port on the router.

If you are connecting via WiFi, then of course, you do NOT run a cable -- and that is probably what the tech means.  But, understand that WiFi speeds are a LOT lower than Wired speeds.  So, if you want the speed back that you got with the old router, then you need to reconnect using a networking cable -- just like you did with the old router.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.