Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
32 0 0
Message 1 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

hi gang. everytime my HP Update comes on, it tries to install "HP Active Support Library" (sp41377), after it starts downloading, a window pops up part way through saying "error 1316", and when i get rid of that window, another one in red pops up saying "error 1603 Fatal Error". this has been going on for months. i have a Compaq SR5505F with 3 GB ram, running Vista Home Premium. thanks for any advice.
0 Kudos
11 REPLIES
Teacher
Teacher
133 1 11
Message 2 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
32 0 0
Message 3 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

thats weird. no, its just a simple home computer, and i just surf the net and download stuff. i wouldn't have a clue how to use a business server or extended network, lol.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
32 0 0
Message 4 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

i found something on here called Microsoft Works, which was OE, but not installed. to install, it says insert disc, which i don't have, if thats any help.
0 Kudos
Grad Student
Grad Student
183 10 35
Message 5 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

Try this---download to your desktop than install-- http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=pv-65606-1&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&product=3740345&os=2093&lang=en      This is an update for your HP update.

You can also just disable your hp update and get any updates from hp.com if you choose. I thought the HP active support library was for laptops only, you might have to get the Microsoft Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and totally uninstall it.

Kudos appreciated if question answered or solution provided
Teacher
Teacher
133 1 11
Message 6 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

See here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=2093&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3740345

That update for Total Care is there.

Also HP updates has an update as well.

In addition there is a BIOs up date available.

These updates may very well fix it.

Download them. If it gives you an option to reinstall the software, do so, if not, move on to the next one. If any fail with those errors you mentioned move on to the next then try again with those you've missed the first time around. In other words, make a second attempt at installing these after some have installed correctly. One of these may enable the other(s) to install and work properly and eliminate those errors.

Intern
Intern
32 0 0
Message 7 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

strange one. ErnyWhite, download says my system doesn't meet minimum requirements. dago517, when i download the updates, it says they are already on my computer. i do have automatic updates on, and check the update section manually every now and then. i did un-install much of the OEM stuff that came on the computer, including snapfish, norton, and cyberlink. perhaps it has something to do with one of those? anyway, it does download and accept all other downloads, so if its not important, i will ignore it. thanks very much for your prompt and helpfull advice, i think this forum is a great idea, and I'm learning alot from it.
0 Kudos
Professor
Professor
2491 134 244
Message 8 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

I would suggest removing or disabling HP Updates and Total Care Advisor. HP Update has plagued many users. It has downloaded and installed incorrect BIOs updates leaving their pc's useless.

Use Windows Update and Support&Drivers page for your pc. That way you can install them and see what your actually installing.

If you search HP support forums you will see what I'm telling you about the issues with HP Update.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once"
- Albert Einstein

Intern
Intern
32 0 0
Message 9 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

wow, thats scary! followed your advice, thanks dmhoo29.
0 Kudos
SueJ Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 1
Message 10 of 12
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

1603 Fatal Error

I found a really EASY way to fix this!!!  Download and install Microsoft's Windows Install Clean-Up utility.  Run the program, and remove the HP Active Support Library program.

When that's done, run the HP update program again.  It works perfectly!!

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation