cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
edansbro
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 1 of 13
Flag Post

20-c022 - High Cpu

HP Recommended
20-c022
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My father got a 20-c022 all in one for Christmas recently. From day 1 out of the box, it has experienced an issue of CONSTANT high CPU usage when browsing the internet. The behavior follows whether he uses Chrome, Edge, or IE11. Nothing out of the ordinary is installed on his machine, he keeps it fairly clean, and like I said, the issue was there day 1.

I think the behavior actually happens consistently, it's just more noticable during browsing. If the system is idle for a minute or so, the CPU will decrease, but the second you go to use the mouse and navigator somewhere else, boom right back to 100%.

I'm performing a few small updates to the HP drivers now, but, nothing I see in them makes me think that they will resolve the issue. Still I'll do them. Hoping that someone out there has had a similar experience and has a fix. I understand this model is a well priced device, but, for this kind of hangup, I can't assume even for a bargain machine that this is acceptable.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
edansbro
Author
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 2 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately, updating drivers from HP Support Assistant did not resolve my issue.  The decline you see at the end is the PC being idle. Shortly after I opened a new Chrome tab to go to another page, and the CPU exploded again.

Capture.PNG

0 Kudos
Dvortex
Retired
Retired
9,855 9,843 924 1,609
Message 3 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello, @edansbro - Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great location to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others.

I see that you are having high CPU usage with your with your HP All-in-One. Do you know which processes are taking the most space? In the task manager, click on the processes tab and sort it according to the memory size. See if there are any processes which sticks out. Let me know the results. If possible send a screen shot if the steps below do not help.

Try updating your Windows. You can open the HP Support Assistant on your computer to get assistance in updating all the Windows components and drivers. You can download the HP support assistant here if you do not have it already: http://hp.care/2fvNQNc 

Alternatively, you can go through this Microsoft forum board where the similar issue was discussed and fixed:http://hp.care/2joaKWz 

Let me know how that goes. I’ll watch for your reply!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 4 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

In the image that you posted, there is a 'Performance' tab, near the top.  Click it.

Expand the 'CPU' section on that page, and click on the column-heading to "sort" the processes into "descending" order, i.e., the process(es) consuming the most CPU will be in the top rows of the report.

> Since Day 1, ...

I'm guessing that your "fresh-out-of-the-box" is running Windows Update as a "background" process,  in order to download & install all the latest security-updates to Windows.

Because it is flagged as a "background" process, it will consume whatever "leftover" CPU that you do not use, e.g., Chrome or IE or Edge.

Open "Windows Update", and see if it reports that it is "downloading" or "installing".

If so, let it finish, reboot, and then measure the performance of your system.

Check your "Power" settings -- if your computer is configured to go to "sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity", Windows Update will also be "paused" while your computer is sleeping -- thus, it will literally take "days" for Windows Update to complete the updating process.  Maybe, change the setting to "never sleep", so that Windows Update can continue to work.

0 Kudos
edansbro
Author
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 5 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Windows Update shouldn't be the issue. One of my 1st steps was updating his system the day I set it up, to have all Windows patches up to date. I also have it scheduled to perform updates everyday at 3:00AM, as it doesn't go to sleep and should be a catch all.

It's hard to explain the symptom. It seems if I am actively navigating with Chrome/IE/Edge, the CPU is getting crushed. If I sit idle, with the same browser open just not navigating, the CPU starts to relax. The second I take the mouse and click to navigate somewhere, everything starts to get hammered again. 

I can try disabling Windows Update, maybe Windows Defender temporarily to see if either is a culprit.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 6 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The second I take the mouse and click to navigate somewhere,

Please explain. 

If you just move the mouse, does the "hammering" start?

Or, does the "hammering" start only after you click the mouse?

Within Internet Explorer, click 'Tools', and 'Manage add-ons'. 

Are there any add-ons that are "suspicious" ? 

Can you "disable" them, and restart I.E.

Does it make a difference?

Within 'Manage add-ons', click 'Search Providers'.

Is there more than one (Google? Bing? Ask? Yahoo?) ?

Which is the "default"? 

Can you change the default to a different one?

Or, can you start "Internet Explorer with no add-ons" ? (It's in the Start Menu in Windows 7, but probably can also be done in Windows 10.)

Within Internet Explorer, click 'Tools', then 'Internet Options', then 'Connections' tab, and then 'LAN Settings'.

Remove any "check-marks", and restart I.E. and try again.

Previously, I wrote:

In the image that you posted, there is a 'Performance' tab, near the top.  Click it.

Expand the 'CPU' section on that page, and click on the column-heading to "sort" the processes into "descending" order, i.e., the process(es) consuming the most CPU will be in the top rows of the report.

Tell us (use the Windows "Snipping Tool" to grab a snapshot) which processes are at the top of the (sorted-by-CPU-usage) list while the "hammering" is happening.

Your system has a 4-way CPU.  Are all 4 processing-units maxed-out during the "hammering" ?

0 Kudos
edansbro
Author
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 7 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'll take some screenshots when I visit him tomorrow. I should clarify:

it's most noticeable when using Chrome, IE11, Edge, etc. that the CPU is pegging out. Simply because that's what he does the most. But the truth is the CPU works overtime in pretty much every app that loads. From Windows Explorer to Control Panel to Solitaire. While the CPU will not drag as badly on some of these apps as it does compared to the browsers, it still seems the system has to work much harder than it needs to to run ANYTHING.

While there I verified Windows Update was up to date, HP drivers were all up to date (BIOS included), and also tried disabling Windows Update/Windows Defender and trying to replicate the issue. Even with this disabled, the issue of the high CPU remained.

I'm at a point where I'm wondering if a rebuild of the system would just be something quick to do. He has not really put much on it that isn't the base image, so, not much would be lost and it would eliminate that scenario.

0 Kudos
mdklassen
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,688
Message 8 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> the truth is the CPU works overtime in pretty much every app that loads. From Windows Explorer to Control Panel to Solitaire. 

I think that all of those applications are "single-threaded", i.e., when they run, they don't take advantage of the 2 processors in your CPU.  Of course, the Operating System dynamially spreads that "thread" over both processors, i.e., a bit of processing on #1, followed by a bit of processing on #2, followed by a bit of processing on #1 or #2.

Thus, given that each processor is "only" 1.6 GHz, you've not got a fast computer, when using a "single-threaded" program.

Of course, if you run multiple simultaneous applications, e.g,. YouTube in one window, and Windows Update in another window, then both of the processors will be "busy".

In short, we need to see the snapshot(s) from the 'Performance' and the 'Overview' tabs, to see if both the processors are maxed-out, or not.

Or, it's possible that the disk-drive is "struggling" to read/write data, which drags the whole system down.

Reboot, and choose to run "HP Diagnostics", and run the disk-drive testing program.

0 Kudos
edansbro
Author
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 9 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hopefully I got screenshots of what's needed. Below are 4 screenshots:

1. Chrome With 1 Tab Open Playing YouTube.
  2. Chrome Open With 1 Tab Doing Nothing, With Edge Playing a YouTube Video.
  3. Disk Acivity After The 1st 2 Activities Have Been Closed.
  4. 4. CPU Activity With Using just Windows Explorer to Browse Folders.

In ctivity 2 the system was basically slow as a dog and unusable for a good 30-45 seconds while loads.

0 Kudos
edansbro
Author
Level 1
15 13 0 0
Message 10 of 13
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did run the quck test on the hard drive in HP dianostics, and everything passed.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation