cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
doryy09
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

2002 HP restore to factory settings

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a5160n EX278AA#ABA
Microsoft Windows XP
I am trying to get my 2002 HP desktop to factory settings in order to give away. I've tried F10 multiple times (tried pushing the button multiple times & tried pressing only once) but no luck in getting the recovery page. I also tried F8 which does not show the "repair your computer" option. Help!
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
30,538 30,445 2,784 6,722
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@doryy09

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

Sorry, but with a 15-year old PC, presuming it has the original hard drive, it's likely that the filesystem has become corrupted over time, and if that has affected the original Recovery partition, the HP reset function simply will not work anymore.

An added problem is that HP stopped carrying XP Recovery Media long ago, so you won't be able to order recovery disks from HP.

Since HP no longer provides Recovery Media for your model, a couple of other sites you should check are: http://www.computersurgeons.com/ and http://www.restoredisks.com/

If they don't carry it, an additional problem you're going to face is that no one sells XP anymore, so you're not likely to find any place that will sell a new copy to you.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation