Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Workstation x8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi my name is Richard.

I got a pc here and we got a major problem. 

203 - Memory module failed self test and failing rank was disabled (slot 3)

I know this a ram , motherboard problem but I don't know how to fix it. 

My devices does not work, it said LSI Raid error, my keyboard, mouse does not work. I tried to spam f10 for bios but It still showed up the error message. I dont wanna spend too much money on this. I really need to fix this problem before I ever get in trouble. I believe my ram comes with the motherboard because I don't see any ram sticks inside my pc. I tried to reboot but nope, it still gave me the message. This really scared me, I could not get any devices working, I could not go to bios, I dont have a clear disk to diagnose on. I've seen forums thesame as this but non of them worked. Please help us. I will try to be active as soon as possible. 

Any replies will be replied and,

Please help us and tell us the solution for this. I only saw HP users have this. I don't want to spend $500 bucks for a new pc. 

Specs: 

PC: HP Workstation x8600

DDR3 Memory: 6 gb

PciE: Zotac Geforce GT 610

Any further replies will be replied as fast as possible. I will try to be active as soon as possible.

Thank you staff, volunteers and members for reading this thread. I've tried everything i could do to fix this, nothing seems to be working. 

-Screen Guy

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

The component removal videos are at the following URL

http://h20574.www2.hp.com/results.htm?SID=3432827&MEID=3B4234FD-60AD-4912-AE75-8D3A75CBDCED

If you remove the modules in slot 1 and slot three you should be able to boot to the operating system in order to use it temporarily.

the following image is of your motherboard. There is a memory fan covering the slots. That is why you don't see them.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thanks. But do i have to get a new ram??

HP Recommended

i am too scared to take off compoments in the pc but sure I could do it 😄

HP Recommended

And one more thing , I have 4 sticks of 1 gb of ram, can I replace them to 1 piece of 8 gb of ram??

HP Recommended

Bad news, when I tried to boot, there is red lights and it beeps loop 5 tmes

i tried to remove 2 ram but it didnt work.

HP Recommended

204-Memory loaded incorrectly

211-Memory warning condton detected

283 Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled slot 1

HP Recommended

@ScreenGuy wrote:

204-Memory loaded incorrectly

211-Memory warning condton detected

283 Memory module failed self-test and failing rank was disabled slot 1

That 283 error message tells me that you put a failed RAM module in slot 1, and it produced the error 211.

Slot 1 is the second slot counting away from the CPU. Take the stick in slot 1 out and  never use it again.

Of the remaining memory modules you must put two in alternate slots.

From the CPU location,they are numbered O,1,2,3.  

You can put modules in the 0 and 2 slot, but not in the 0 and 1 slot, or slot 2 and 3. That would produce a mismatch, as in error 204. 

Replace all four sticks with guaranteed compatible RAM from a well known vendor. Do not purchase one module to replace the failed one., or a pair.

Mixing memory manufacturers, density( the number of chips populating a stick) or memory bandwidth is very likely to produce a no boot scenariuo and more error messages.

Crucial memory makes compatible memory for yourworkstation. See the following URL.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP---Compaq/xw8600

In which region of the world do you live?

@ScreenGuy wrote:

And one more thing , I have 4 sticks of 1 gb of ram, can I replace them to 1 piece of 8 gb of ram??

Yes. you can replace them with modules of 2GB to upgrade to 8GB.

Only use guaranteed compatible memory. If a manufacturer or vendor does not guarantee that it is compatible with your workstation, don't waste your money or time with it.

I recommend vendors such as Kingston, Crucial, Corsair, PNY, Geil. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Replace all four sticks with guaranteed compatible RAM from a well known vendor. Do not purchase one module to replace the failed one., or a pair.

.Did you mean "pair" which I couldn't buy 2x 4gb sticks, or Don't use the other 2 pairs because I don't know which is #1 ram in my system which comes up, red light blinking, which is really scary.

HP Recommended

What kind of ram should I get, FBDIMM, DIMM etc.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.