cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
TacoDaddy
6 5 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

2311x isn't working with HDMI

I've had the 2311x since Christmas, and it works fine hooked up to my computer via VGA. The problem is, when I try to hook up my PS3 using an HDMI cable, it just displays the "Check Video Cable" message. I've tried multiple solutions, including trying to output video from the PS3 using an HDMI cable with a DVI adapter. I've also tried multiple solutions I've found on forums, but nothing seems to work. The cable in question isn't a high-speed HDMI cable but that shouldn't matter, according to HP. I also know it's not defective, since I can hook up my PS3 to my Sony TV.

Edit: Ive gotten it to the point where if I turn the moniter on, it says that the HDMI signal is active, along with the VGA signal. However, when I try to switch over, the screen simply goes black and switches back to VGA. It doesn't even display the "Check Video Cable" message any more, it just goes black.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,037
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Test the monitor with the HDMI cable on a differnet PC to make sure that if works correctly without using adapters.

Be sure that the PS3 video is set to 1080P or auto. Don't connect more than one active video cable to the monitor.  You can change video source in the monitor's front Menu button --> Source Control.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
TacoDaddy
6 5 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I actually don't have another computer to hook up to my moniter, but I know the cable works. I'm running my PS3 on my TV for now, but I'm using the HDMI cable for that and it works great. Would it make a difference if the cable is high speed or not?

0 Kudos
TacoDaddy
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Also, if it wouldn't be too much trouble, could you tell me what HDMI cable you prefer and personally use for this and a link to where I would be able to get one?

0 Kudos
HJW808
5 5 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tangled with this headache after buying a base station for my Thinkpad notebook computer.  This added a displayport option, so I thought it an easy 'upgrade' from standard VGA.  I purchased a displayport to HDMI cable and that's when the dreaded "check cable" message haunted me.  I tried EVERYTHING suggested here and NOTHING would work.  Then, I realized that the monitor was showing that HDMI connection was active but, for some reason, couldn't switch (either forced or manual).  No amount of resetting made any difference.  Then, I tried something that I was sure would NOT work:  I plugged in BOTH the HDMI and the VGA at the same time.  Then, I just unplugged the VGA...viola! Has worked flawlessly for the last few days, so thought I would post it here and save someone countless hours of frustration.  

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation