cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

2311xi won't sleep - DVI

HP Recommended

The monitor is connected via DVI and it just keeps saying "Going to sleep", then coming right back on.  I've installed the drivers but haven't had any luck.  During this process, it keeps making the device plugged/unplugged noise as well.  

This is a new monitor that I've only had a week, I need to figure out if this one is defective or just some bug that can be worked around in some way.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello jabrown85,

Based on the tag in the thread I'm going to go with the fact you are using Windows 7. I have seen cases (and have the problem myself) where Windows 7 dosen't allow the computer to properly go to sleep.

If you go to start and then press the sleep button instead of waiting for it to go to sleep does it sleep then? or do you have the same issue?

Do you have a secondary monitor to test on the machine to see if it's a monitor issue?

You can also try uninstalling the drivers and letting windows reinstall new drivers to rule out a driver conflict.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
I am indeed using windows 7. I've tried putting the computer to sleep manually as well to no avail. I've also tried a secondary monitor (also HP) that works fine.

Any other ideas?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
3,551 3,395 279 526
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello jabrown85,

Tells me it is a problem with the driver that the monitor is installing. The secondary monitor was a different model I presume?

If yes then try this

1. Connect the "bad" monitor

2. Navigate to Control Panel

3. Select System and Security

4. Then Choose Device Manager

5. Under Display Adapter would be the monitor drivers right click and uninstall

At this point your monitor is going to turn off and we need to allow Windows to reinstall the driver, but we need to reboot the computer.

To reboot

1. Press the Windows Key

2. Press the right arrow key twice

3. Then press R

Once the computer reboots then try to put the computer to sleep to see if the problem continues.

If the problem does continue navigate back to the device manager and then could you provide the details of what driver is installed for the monitor you are using?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I have helped you in any way click the Kudos button to say Thanks.
The community works together, click Accept as Solution on the post that solves your issue for other members of the community to benefit from the solution.
- Friendship is magical.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue with my 2311xi, I'm connecting with DVI but I'm connecting to a MacBook Air with a Mini-Displayport to DVI adapter. Other monitors do not have the same issue with this computer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the tips.  They did not work though.  I've got a Generic PnP Monitor now as the driver, but the sleep problem still persists.  Windows Key + P turning it off also does not work properly.  It turns off, then immediately turns back on like it's a new monitor.  The plug n play is clearly not correct.  HP is sending out a new monitor to try and confirm it's not a hardware issue.  I fear this will be all for nothing though, as it appears to be software related.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Interesting that they are sending you a monitor. I called and got put on hold for a half hour after the support person blamed the computer even though other monitors including HP ones are fine. I was told I would get a call back which of course I never did.

The HP website's chat with a rep form doesn't support this monitors model number. Their call me back form doesn't work, just gives an "try again later" error when I fill it out. And their phone support is rude and doesn't even know that their own monitors say "Monitor going to sleep" when they go to sleep.

Honestly this monitor is going in the trash, I won't be buying anything more from HP after this ridiculous performance.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The new monitor arrived today and, as I expected, has the same issue.  This is clearly a firmware/driver issue.  I'm sending both monitors back.  Support was horrendous at first.  I finally got someone to attempt to help but they didn't want to admit fault and blamed the computer as well even though other monitors (including HP) work fine on the same machine.  It's clearly not worth my time.

0 Kudos
Tags (1)
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Any new info? I am using two 2300xi's with a Mac Mini 2012 and Mountain Lion. Similar problem. The second monitor will not sleep. Announces it is going to sleep. Within one second of the power light turning orange, it comes back on with the blue color and repeats announcement and process continuously.

Have tried a number of things with no success and I see with Goog searches that I have company with this problem. 

I like the monitors and do not want to take them back if I can resolve this.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended
Bump! My problems remain as stated in the previous post. Anyone out there with an idea?
0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation