Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Z230
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I bought a HP workstation Z230 two months back. There i used 2 Camera cards in mother board but there is no default RS232 serial port. Now i want to add RS232 port instead of card.

I already asked HP customer support and they suggested 392414-001 serial port adapter kit. please any one help me to where i can buy.

Thanks

Suresh

Precious Microtech

Chennai

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The Z230 SFF workstation has a serial port on the backplane and a special serial port header on the motherboard, but the tower version seems to only have a single special serial port header on the motherboard..... I bet you have the tower version.

HP has some complex part numbering systems, Spares P/N, Assembly P/N, Options P/N, so you may need to search under any of those three, and the same part can be given a different set of numbers as it is used in a later workstation.  That is the case for you..... but the Options P/N stayed the same.

Many of the HP workstations have had a single external serial port adapter on the backplane, and a proprietary header on the motherboard so the owner can add a second serial port.  If no serial port was on the backplane the adapter still has kept its same name of "HP 2nd Serial Port adapter". 

You want both the adapter and the cable.  You can't just hook up a "pass-through" adapter.  There is an actual circuit board attached to the adapter bracket that HP designed, and a special ribbon cable to go from that to the motherboard header.  In some of the HP documents they actually have the wrong picture of the adapter (those documents show incorrectly a pass-through ribbon cable).  I'll add the correct picture below.

Here are some numbers for the device I have been using with my xw workstation and Z620 work:

PA716A             (Options P/N)  ...this is listed in the Z630 QuickSpecs document as the one you need.

283984-001    (Spares P/N)

264534-001   (Assembly P/N)

You'll find the most on eBay under that Options P/N of PA716A.  Never buy one without the ribbon cable..... you will not find those available by themselves.  If you search under then part number you provided you'll likely get sticker shock, but off eBay the PA716A is going for about $15.00 USD.  My guess is that you don't need the SFF backplane bracket included in some of the kits shown there.

For me this adapter is plug and play..... the OS drivers built in just work.

Keep us posted on this.... there still is a need for serial ports for some of us, and the right price counts.  Here's that correct picture of what you need:

PA716A.jpg

HP Recommended

Thanks for your reply

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.