cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GeorgeBell
5 4 0 0
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

3Com etherlink III PCI board 3C590 for an old XP machine

3Com 3C590
Microsoft Windows XP

Hello support,

I have spent about three hours trying to find an XP driver for the above network board.  As you took over 3Com some time ago is it possible you can supply me with a driver for it.    Perhaps a generic driver will work OK. 

Thanks George.

0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
Level 3 MohammedHamed
Level 3
41 41 3 10
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello ,

Check this link please

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/315275

Its seems your driver not supported

Cheers

Mohammed Hamed

0 Kudos
GeorgeBell
5 4 0 0
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Before I posted here I tried to find a driver supplier on Google, I found masses, but none who would let me download the driver for free they all quoted about $30 to get loads of drivers for my old XP, but that seemed a bit stiff for just the one I wanted.

I shall have another look through all my old CDs as I might even have a driver disk, but if I do it will probably be for Windows 98 or even 95 as this was the time when I last used this 3Com PCI card.   Do you think an old driver might work?

Regards George.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
113,139 103,316 16,236 24,941
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, George:

It is possible a W95 or 98 driver will work.

You can try it and see.

Can you please post the hardware ID for the ethernet controller?

To find the hardware ID, you have to have XP SP2 or SP3 installed.

Go to the device manager and click on the ethernet controller needing drivers.

Then click on the Details tab at the top of the ethernet controller window.

You should now see a string of characters that start with PCI\VEN.

Post that string of characters.

0 Kudos
Level 3 MohammedHamed
Level 3
41 41 3 10
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Here is a list of some network adapters that Windows XP does not support:

• Accton ENN2216 PCMCIA Ethernet

• Artisoft AE-1

• 3Com Fast EtherLink 10/100Mb Bus-Master PCI (3C595-TX) [PCI]
  • 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590C) [PCI]
  • 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590TPO) [PCI]
  • 3Com EtherLink III Bus-Master PCI Ethernet (3C590) [PCI]
  • 3Com EtherLink II or IITP (8 or 16-bit) (3C503)

• DEC (DE100) EtherWorks LC
  • DEC (DE200) EtherWorks Turbo
  • DEC (DE101) EtherWorks LC/TP
  • DEC (DEC422) EtherWorks Turbo EISA Adapter

• HP PC LAN Adapter-8 TL (HP27250)
  • HP PC LAN Adapter-8 TP (HP27245)
  • HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TP (HP27247A)
  • HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TL Plus (HP27252)
  • HP PC LAN Adapter-16 TP Plus (HP27247B)

• IBM Lan streamer

• Intel EtherExpress 16 Flash [ISA]
  • Intel EtherExpress 16C [ISA]
  • Intel EtherExpress 16 [ISA]
  • Intel EtherExpress 16TP [ISA]
  • Intel EtherExpress 32
  • Intel TokenExpress 32bit EISA 16/4

• Novell/Anthem NE3200 or compatible
  • Novell/Anthem NE3200T
  • Novell/Anthem NE1000

• NE1000 Compatible

• Olicom 32bit Token-Ring Server EISA 16/4 (OC-3135)

• Ungermann-Bass Ethernet NIUpc Adapter
  • Ungermann-Bass Ethernet NIUpc/EOTP Adapter

Note that these unsupported network adapters are not included in the Windows Hardware Compatibility List (HCL). For additional information about devices that are not on the HCL, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

142865 Microsoft Support Policy on Hardware Not on Windows HCL
0 Kudos
GeorgeBell
5 4 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks for the Interest Paul, 

today I found 3 old 1.4 Mb floppies which had 3com information on the labels.  Unfortunately they did not produce any useful drivers and I suspect that they were all too old to come from that era.   I am only using this PCB because I have it to hand, I do not suppose that they are that expensive and -, ultimately I intend to convert this pc to run Linux. Do you think that Linus will be able to provide a driver for it?

I did get the hardware ID for the board I have installed in the XP machine and which is crying out for a driver.  It was a bit of a job as I could not expand the window to get it on a screen dump, nor could I cut and paste it.   I was very careful writing it down though and here it is:  PCI\1087&DEV_5900&SUBSYS00000000&REV_00\4&5855BE9&0&20F0

It was interesting to see so much information that had been loaded from the PCI board, even though I had not succeeded in finding a driver for it.

I hope it tells you more than it does me.

Thanks and regards.  George.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome, George.

The hardware ID confirms what you already know.

I like to google the ID and sometimes it gives me some useful info and a link to the drivers.

Unfortunately, since I have also looked for drivers, I have come up empty handed except to find a very small exe file on many sites that you can get for free labeled win2k59x.exe.

I find it hard to believe that a file this small contains the drivers but who knows?

I can't disassemble it to explore its contents and since it is an exe file, it could be a virus.

I have no way of telling.

I scanned it with Microsoft Security Essentials and it doesn't report that it is a virus.

If you want it, I can zip it up and attach it below.

As far as finding Linux drivers for it, unfortunately I would have no idea.

You may want to just get a used PCI network card on eBay that would work with XP.

0 Kudos
GeorgeBell
5 4 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks Paul,

I have very little to lose by trying it, so if you can send it to my email address I would be very grateful, or a link to where I can download it.  

Failing this I shall have a look round for a cheap XP  PCI ethernet card,  I also need a sound card as I need to be able to use skype and the microphone does not work either every time I try and reload the driver for the motherboard chipset sound it says there is a problem and it will not "start" ?

There is always somthing, I am hoping to get away from a lot of these problems by going over to Linux.  We shall see if this is the way to go,

Thanks for your help again. Regards George.

0 Kudos
Level 20
Level 20
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, George:

Here you go.  It is attached under Attachments below.

Download, unzip and run the exe file and I sure hope it isn't some malware.

Like I said, I checked it out and no virus was reported but you can't be 100% sure.

GeorgeBell
5 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry about the delay, Paul but a lot of other more pressing things came up! 

I unzipped the file, put it in a sand bucket and ran it.   It produced a driver file and when I ran it, after a single blue screen, which worried me for a bit it actually seemed to work.  I looked in the BIOS and the  3COM pcb was saying that it was satisfactory and connected!

Unfortunately this is where some other problems became more important and after trying to actually connect to the network and seeing the ethernet light flashing away on the poirt into which I had connected the  3Com pcb, I found that it was asking me for a lot of information that I did not have to hand,  I suppose it was all related to the IPA of the PCB etc. but I did not see any reference to the service provider or username or password, so I did not get any further.  I may have time to have another go tomorrow, but I feel that the actual connection is right there now and all I have to do is configure it correctly.

I was very surprised to see it sitting there saying the board was OK and had an internet connection.

Thanks for all your help, we are nearly there, I am sure.

Regards George.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation