Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp 8200 elite SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I upgraded a hp 6000 pro sff by changing out the mother board for a hp 636926-001 hp 8200 sff because there was no slot for a graphic card everything booted well but I keep getting an error message 512-rear chassis fan not detected.press F1 to boot.The fan is working great and so is the computer & i did an Bios up grade to V02.29 and when I checked HP help it gave me an answer Pin 10 on front cable connector may need repair but everything was working fine on the hp 6000 MBoard I checked all conections but can't find a problem any Ideas or was down loading the Bios upgrade the problem?how can I delete the error message?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

YES that worked no more messages and direct boot when I down loaded the BIOS update it must have been for a full size desktop with a rear fan not a SSF 8200 elite now how do I get back to the orginal correct BIOS i notice when I installed the update it stored the old BIOS somewhere how do i find it and reinstall .Thank you so much now we know what the problem is it should be an easy fix I await your instructions sorry for doubting you but you didn't seem fimiliar with the product ie fan was in the power supply and HP blocking BIOS on their business computers once again I appoligize!!!!!!Thank you for bearing with me I was just getting frustrated.

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
HP Recommended

> how can I delete the error message?

Enter BIOS SETUP.

Look for a setting to disable the motherboard from trying to monitor that specific "chassis" fan.

Once it is set to "ignore", the error-message will not be produced.

HP Recommended

F10 doesn't give an option and I think HP has bios blocked from entry

HP Recommended

> F10 doesn't give an option

As soon as you turn the computer on, is there any white-coloured text on the bottom row(s) of the screen, showing which F-keys do which function?  Or, do you need to immediately press ESC to view that text?

> I think HP has BIOS blocked from entry.

You think, or you know? 

Did you purchase the new motherboard directly from HP, or did the previous owner "block" it, with a password?

HP Recommended

Sorry yes this is a refurbished board the bios is not blocked that I know of but F10 takes you to the Hewelett Packard set-up menu not the Bios to do the changes you suggest is there another way to get Bios set-up because the HP setup utlity has nothing like that my understanding is HP will not allow acess directly to the BIOS Paul and I discussed that in an earlier post for another situation 

HP Recommended

> F10 takes you to the Hewelett Packard set-up menu not the BIOS to do the changes you suggest.

Whatever HP names their motherboard "configuration utility", I would hope that it allows enable/disable of the monitoring of a chassis fan, and to change other settings, such as "if the power goes off, and comes back, the computer should either STAY OFF or RESTART", or "schedule this computer to automatically power-on at 2 AM on every Sunday, so that a RAT (Remote Administration Tool) can push updates", or "disable integrated video if a PCI-E video-card is added".

What does F10 allow you to set?

Of course, if you install a working chassis fan, the error-message should not be produced.  :generic:

HP Recommended

Provost
Paul_Tikkanen

Unfortunately, the BIOS is locked down.

As per above Paul has told me that Bios are locked down in HP desktop computers only the HP set-up is avaiable in F10

HP Recommended

> Unfortunately ...

What does F10 allow you to set?

Of course, if you install a working chassis fan, the error-message should not be produced. 

HP Recommended

F10 is basic not muck able to be changed in settings the refurb board was installed in a working hp 6000 pro chassis the fan was never changed and it is working as we text everything is working except for the error message I've even reset the Cmos to factory setting and did the same thing in F10 still get the message and have to press f1 at boot.

HP Recommended

> rear chassis fan not detected.press F1 to boot. The fan is working great.

Some computers have both a "rear chassis fan" and a "CPU fan".  Does yours?

Check the wires that run from the labelled connectors on the motherboard.

One connector will be labelled "chassis" and one will be labelled "CPU".

Make sure that a fan is connected to the "chassis" connector.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.