Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03381888 (This is my pc)

I just installed a new graphics card a PNY GTX 650 2bg and on start up it does 6 beeps and shows nothing on the screen. I have tried switching boot BIOS, then Best Buy(Geek squad) Tried scamming me into buying a new motherboard saying I shocked mine when I installed the card, but when I put my old card in it will start up normally even though it will crash all the time cause it's damaged. I have just been running around into loose ends and it's driving me insane to find an answer to my problem please help me.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

if your PC came with W8, you need to change 2 BIOS settings when you install a non-HP video card.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03653200

If it didn't then I don't know what the problem could be (other than a defective new video card).

HP Recommended

Tried two of the same model so I don't know what's going on either.

HP Recommended

also its W7

HP Recommended

Mark, welcome to the forum

I believe the new card has a 6-pin power connector at the rear of the card.  It has to be connected for it to work properly.  I don't believe that the power supply unit (PSU) in the computer has the appropriate cable.  This is the first thing to check.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

I have the 6 pin power connector plugged in as well.

HP Recommended

Wow.

6 Beeps = Pre Video graphics error.

Corrective action is to:

1. Reseat the graphics card. Power on the system. 2. Replace the graphics card. 3. Replace the system board.

The PC definitely has a problem with that particular model card.

Two of them can't be bad, and you know there isn't anything wrong with the motherboard.

HP Recommended

Hi,

What bios level is installed in your PC as you said that you have switched bios?

Six beeps is typically a pre-video graphics failure associated with a version 8 bios level.

Try clearing the CMOS and then see if you can boot up into the bios (computer setup). You need to make sure that Legacy mode is enabled and secure boot is disabled.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
HP Recommended

Any follow-up on that subject? I have the same problem and had checked all Experts suggested before...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.