Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Highlighted
3 0 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post

Solved!

64 bit operating systems

HP Recommended
hp pavilion a6220n
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Is it possible to use a 64 bit Microsoft Windows operating system on my HP Pavilion a6220n desktop computer?  The computer has the original motherboard.  I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB.  I have a one terabyte Seagate hard drive with a rotation speed of 7200 rpm.  I would appreciate anyone's help.  Please let me know if more information is needed.

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 10
4,379 4,360 405 628
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If it still hase the original motherboard it has the Core 2 Duo E4500 processor which is 64bit

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please mark my post as SOLVED if it has resolved your problem. It helps others with similar situations.
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
10,045 10,041 942 2,747
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since the original OS is 32bit, there are some considerations for you to address.  In order to use a 64Bit OS, it has to be a complete reinstall, an "upgrade" is not possible.  If the Recovery partition is still in place that option will not restore the new 64Bit OS.  The motherboard can only support 8GB with the 64Bit OS, 4GB more than now.

Unless there is a specific need to use 64Bit OS, there will not be much advantage unless the RAM is increased.  Also, get all the needed drivers downloaded to a flash drive or DVD/CD BEFORE doing the reinstall.

Have a great experience in this endeavor and good luck.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation