Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Envy 750-114 desktop
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Bought a remanufactured unit, would constantly freeze randomly once in Windows, sometimes even before firing up an applicaiton. I returned it, got a replacement, having same problem. I'm completely patched up on Windows and all system drivers and have not attached any additional hardware other than a basic HDMI monitor.

I tried updating the BIOS today using HP's support tool/wizard and am certain I followed the correct path appropriate for the SSID (2B47) and motherboard (Odense). My old BIOS was AMI A0.14. After the upgrade, on bootup I initially get a "windows needs to repair" screen and it captures information and triggers a reboot, but the reboot crashes, unable to repair and the cycle repeats indefinitely. I've tried booting off a recovery USB drive but am unable to repair or revert to a prior version there.

I noticed the new BIOS is ODE A0.18, so am wondering if the HP utility has installed the wrong BIOS. Even though during the BIOS update it created a recovery partition and thumb drive folder, the "old" folder is empty so it appears I've lost my old BIOS and have no idea how to either repair what I've got or revert to what I'd had.

Any ideas what to try next?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hello

It does sound like a faulty BIOS update but your PC is responding even though it is in a windows repair loop. Bad BIOS updates usually don't do this. 

Can you get to BIOS at boot. Try setting BIOS to defaults if possible.

You could try troubleshoot tips for Window's startup problems at this very good site.

HP support site for your PC has BIOS updates for download. A0.18 is listed with the correct SSID for your PC.

Download BIOS update from HP and try to install again if you can fix winows startup loop.

GRzy

HP Recommended

I can get to BIOS, had not made any changes, so applying defaults would do nothing. I don't know how I could try to reinstall the BIOS if I can't get to boot up--best I can manage is a command prompt window and I don't believe the HP utility can run from that.

HP Recommended

Hello

That is correct. That is why it was suggested to go to How to Geek site and try windows startup repair options so you can get into windows.

Grzy

HP Recommended

P.S.--I did create a bootable USB so that I can access those advanced options you referenced. The repair option was unable to complete the repair, and I was also unable to revert to prior version or revert to a restore point. Even "reset" is not showing as an option.

HP Recommended

Hello

Thank you for more info on that. 

Sometimes you have to fold.

Backup your data on HDD. I am sure you know what to do.

Then reinstall windows 10.

It would not hurt to reset BIOS to defaults.

Grzy

HP Recommended

Actually I can't even reinstall Windows--the HP BIOS update utility wound up partitioning my drive and Windows installation won't work with that configuration. I'd probably have to completely reformat the drive. HP support has been useless despite the fact that I've still got a valid warranty. I have been bounced from their main US # to a third party remanufacturer in California, who bounced me to a third party warranty processor who is not authorized to do anything other than exchange the entire PC (which took about 8 weeks when my original unit failed).

Dell.com, here I come ...

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.