cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
AndrewDesign
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

8 beeps and no video HP H8-1234 after Bios Update

HP Recommended

So I decided to update my bios when my new SSD (Kingston HyperX 3k 120gb) was performing lousy.

i updated the bios and I used the Bios update found HERE which is listed as good for my system.

Everything weemed to go smoothly until after the restart, I got the lovely 8 beeps, telling me that something is screwedup with the CMOS or the BIOS.

I reset the CMOS jumper settings

Removed the cmos battery for up to 30 minutes

Switched frommy BFG 500W power supply back to the 300w factory unit

Switched from my HD 6870 Video Card back to the factory unit

Unplugged all ram modules and ran with every conceivable series

Removed all usb devices

Ive never had issues before, and am running windows 8 without any issues,until the Bios update.

I need to find out if it is in any way possible to recover from what seems obvious as a botched bios flash.

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
AndrewDesign
Author
3 2 0 0
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My current idea is to re-install the bios at bootup.

Ive tried loading all the files found in the bios update onto a usb 1gb and 8gb drive formatted as FAT32, no avail.

Renamed the .rom to HPBIOS.ROM again nothing on either usb

Attempted usingthe win key+B key power on trick Ive seen for hp laptops and had no luck.

I've found that the motherboard BIOS or CMOS problem (ROM) has very little information anywhere available even though there seem to be quite a few HP desktop systems that have used this specific model of motherboard.

If anyones got any ideas, Im open for suggestions.

0 Kudos
Sunshyn2005
Level 13
17,328 17,221 901 2,544
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi AndrewDesign,

I would like to help with this issue your experiencing. To ensure I fully understand you were not having any issues until you completed the BIOS update right?

This can happen if power is lost while updating the BIOS, or when the BIOS is updated with an update that was not downloaded from HP, or when a certain virus or malicious program modifies the BIOS data.To resolve the error click here

The will help us to truly identify the issue, please click this link to find out what the beep pattern means.

This one is great too -  Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

Thanks, look forward to hearing from you

Sunshyn2005

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

0 Kudos
JamesJihan
1 1 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Make sure to reset BIOS by jumping BIOS pins, Remove BIOS Battery and try again. If those methods are not fixed the next thing you have to do is, remove BIOS Chip and re-program or fix a new BIOS which is according to the motherboard model. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation