cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
GeeTee1961 Tutor
Tutor
10 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

8000 CMT CD-Rom drive and power cables shorting out and burning

HP 8000 CMT
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Has anyone else had issues with the SATA power cord connecting CD-Rom drives and the system board shorting out and smoking pretty badly.

If this is a known issue shouldn't there be a recall like Samsung have done for their phones?

8000 CMT DVD Drive.jpg

0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
Provost Provost
Provost
46281 40542 4386 11296
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Is the PC still in warranty?

Nevermind. I see it has been around for a while.  😉

I highly recommend that you consider replacing the SATA power cable with a new one to prevent that fire hazard from happening again. 

You might  end up having to replace the PSU, depending on the configuration of the desktop PC.

I think you may be the first to report something  safety related like that happening with your desktop.

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
GeeTee1961 Tutor
Tutor
10 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

We have put together a SWAT team to visit approximately 1700 of these units that we support accross 35 different sites in the UK. My concern is that we have had 7 units fail the same way already but we cannot find a pattern to tie it to a particular batch of serial numbers. I have seen that there is also another thread with the same issue posted back in 2015 where an HP expert sent the contributor a PM rather than post directly on the forum????
0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
46281 40542 4386 11296
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Which thread in 2015 was that?

Nevermind. I found it.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/8000-CMT-CD-Rom-drive-and-power-...

Are the units still in warranty?

Check your warranty status Here.

I have asked a Moderator to escalate your issue. 

If you really want to say thanks, click on the Thumbs up icon .
If your problem is solved or question answered by my post, please click the Accepted Solution button in that post.

0 Kudos
GeeTee1961 Tutor
Tutor
10 3 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

0 Kudos
Retired Duane_D
Retired
4641 3156 51 154
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 
Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP. I am a Moderator on the HP Support Forums.
0 Kudos
GeeTee1961 Tutor
Tutor
10 3 0 0
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for escalating this issue I look forward to the PM
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation