Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-311no
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

First i want to mention. I am trying to overclock as well, but overclocking this pc (Even underclock) in AMD Overdrive crashes/freezes the pc instantly. And Turbo Core control is greyed out for some reason and i tried the stress test in AMD Overdrive and i looked at task manager and it stays at 3.7 Ghz even though on HP spec site for this pc clearly mentions 4.3 Turbo. And btw BIOS overclocking is not avalible on this Motherboard, so i can do that, and i know it's safer/easier/better.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

It is unfortunate, but you have mistaken your computer for a gaming system. 

HP has made and still does makes Gaming systems that are overclockable, such as the Omen X and the Omen 870-200 series.

Your HP Pavilion 500-300 series desktop PC is a mainstream manufactured PC.

If you really want to be able to overclock, then you have three choices:

1) purchase a new Gaming system. It won't be inexpensive.

2) Build a Gaming PC with a serious motherboard. I generally use the ASUS ROG series. Choose your components well and spec it out. This takes time and research.  It can be pretty costly, depending on how high you want the specs to be.

3) purchase a gaming system with high spec components in the second-hand market.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

I was told when i bought it was fine for mid gaming, that is also what i use it for. But if i go here: https://support.hp.com/rs-en/document/c04378197 and under proccesor. It says  4.3 Turbo. But that is what i see is not working. And the GPU in it can i overclock just fine. I already knew that the bios couldnt overclock. 

but why is it that if i even try to underclock it freezes the system? Is there any workaround ?

HP Recommended

The motherboard is not meant to be over or underclocked. That is why it is freezing.

You may be able to find a modified BIOS, but the risk involved in using it would completely yours.

If you use CPU-z for informational purposes, you may find that it does cycle up to 4.3 Ghz under a load.

CPU-Z

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

How to i check if it goes to 4.3 in CPU Z?

HP Recommended

Start CPU-z and watch it.

If you want to, you can run a benchmark and watch it.  

https://www.futuremark.com/

Even without a benchmark it will cycle up and down based on requests the OS is making of it.

The image is from the system I am typing this on.

CPUz.png

HP Recommended

Is it Core speed i should look at?

HP Recommended

@martinnielsen92 wrote:

Is it Core speed i should look at?

Yes.

It won't stay constant. It will constantly cycle up and down

HP Recommended

Okay, now i know something is off. I ran some benchmarks using the link you provided and my clockspeed stays at 3692.52 MHz all the way. Never changed for a second or my a 0.01 MHz. Also in idle it stays there.

HP Recommended

I suggest that you uninstall AMD Overdrive.

You stated that it does not work with your motherboard.

It could be causing the issue.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.