cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Intern
Intern
42 33 3 5
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Activation Issue after mainboard replacement

Pavilion p7-1414PC
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

The OEM HP mainboard (696333-001) died on this unit. According to Partsurfer, the replacment board (698308-501) is no longer orderable, so I sourced the replacement elsewhere.

I made sure the replacement board part#'s matched the OEM in order to avoid issues with the OS, since I knew the existing OS was intact and wanted to reinstall it from the OEM recovery partition anyway.

I matched the HP SP numbers number for number in the replacement board. They're exactly the same. The board is the same, it's not an upgrade, etc.

After installation the machine booted with no issues. I reinstalled the OS from the recovery partition and now it won't activate.

I used a couple of utilities to look for the OEM key in the BIOS and they're reporting the firmware is NOT coded with an OEM key.

I tell ya I spent a bill on this board and this is a bit frustrating...HP doesn't seem to offer the part I need for sale and when I match the board number for number in order to please Microsoft, the replacement board isn't coded with an OEM key in its firmware.

I even looked for the BIOS chip on the old mainboard thinking I might try to move it over to the new one.

Can't find it...

Please advise if there's a solution.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Provost Provost
Provost
9,667 9,581 896 2,603
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Considering that model was shipped with Windows 8, I would assume the replacement, if a HP OEM board, it would have the key in the BIOS.  Where did you get this board?  Talk to the vendor.  Was it sold as a genuine HP motherboard?

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 33 3 5
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It was sold as a genuine HP board:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121928714172?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

And it appears it actually is. Using a utlity that looks at the ACPI and other tables in the BIOS, the board is clearly identified as an OEM HP board. What's missing is the OEM MS product key embedded in the BIOS.

I created the OEM HP Recovery DVD set from the onboard application. I've seen some posts that claim this problem is fixed by reimaging the system from this media rather than from using the HP Recovery Manager.

Can anyone confirm?

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 33 3 5
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Well to test my own theory I just tried to reinstall the OS with the OEM recovery media I created after the replacement board was installed, i.e., the DVD recovery set.

It tells me it (the recovery media) isn't for that machine.

Wonderful...

0 Kudos
Provost Provost
Provost
9,667 9,581 896 2,603
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Yes it does appear to say it is genuine and for Windows 8.  I would ask them what gives just for a clarification.  Keep in mind that what is happening is not out of line with a OEM license violation, however.  Windows 8 and 8.1 might be more particular that previous versions.  The Recovery media set must be able to tell the difference.  Try a Windows key finder sodtware to see if theBIOS has a key imbedded.

{---------- Please click the "Thumbs Up" to say thanks for helping.
Please click "Accept As Solution" if my help has solved your problem. ----------}

This is a user supported forum. I am a volunteer and I do not work for HP.
0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 33 3 5
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@TheOldMan wrote:

Yes it does appear to say it is genuine and for Windows 8.  I would ask them what gives just for a clarification.  Keep in mind that what is happening is not out of line with a OEM license violation, however.  Windows 8 and 8.1 might be more particular that previous versions.  The Recovery media set must be able to tell the difference.  Try a Windows key finder sodtware to see if theBIOS has a key imbedded.

No DPK embedded.

Odd that the Recovery Manager would succesfully recover the unit, but the OEM Recovery Media will not.

Anyway, I solved the problem another way.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate your time.

0 Kudos
Dean
Dean
11,617 11,017 575 1,629
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I solved the problem another way.

For the benefit of future readers, please elaborate your solution.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Intern
Intern
42 33 3 5
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I used an OEM PK from another machine currently loaded with another operating system.

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation