Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, i had problem with boot into OS after Windows 10 update. HP recovery volume, or factory reset all failed.

So I created USB disk with media creator tool from Windows and reinstall OS, but Windows Key from bios doesn't work.

I don't know what to do next to activated the OS. Version of OS is Windows 10 Home and that is ok. If I try to use slmgr.vbs -ato it says Activation of product Windows(R), Core edition (2b1f36bb-c1cd-4306-bf5c-a0367c2d97d8) ... Error: Activation failed.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

> So I created USB disk with media creator tool from Windows and reinstall OS, but Windows Key from BIOS doesn't work.

I think that you are "trying too hard" -- it's not as complicated as extracting the key from the BIOS, or running the SLMGR.VBS application.

My guess is that license-key in the BIOS works only when you install from the HP "System Recovery" set -- either a hidden partition on your disk-drive, or a set that you created (writing to a USB memory-stick or to a few DVD-recordable disks) from within Windows.

However, because Windows 10 was installed on your computer, you ahve been granted a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at no cost to you.

So, from that downloaded software on your USB stick, click "I do not have one" when prompted to enter the 25-character product-key. The next time that you have an Internet connection, Windows should "activate".

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.