Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
Helvi2 Student
Student
1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Activation

550-a114

Five Months (10/22/15) after I bought my new PC with pre-installed Windows 10. A note on the bottom of my screen appeared saying I needed to activate Windows. When I try to activate it there were only the last five numbers of my product key.When I t TRIED TO activate I received the message. "We Can't activate Windows Now .TRy Again LAter I bought the PC at Best Buy and had the Geek Squad  transfer my old files. I can't find the Product Key anywhere. I looked all over the box my new pc came in and on the PC itself. I found nothing.

I thought in the process of doing that they activated Windows. I never saw anything during setup telling me to do that. The only thing I changed ON THE pc WAS ADDING a external dialup modem, because I have dialup and  and had to have a new  DVD drivebecause my QUIt!  I couldn't understand after five months of use WHY I had to activate Windows.

When I replaced the DVD Drive I didn't have a problem and that was after I added the modem. DOes anybody have any idea what happened or what I should do?                  

Helvi2

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES
Provost Provost
Provost
20454 2247 7478
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Activation

Helvi2, welcome to the forum.

You should contact Micrsoft's Customer Service for help with your problem.  They should be able to help you without any problems.  I know that the Product Key is embedded in the BIOS with Win 8.0/8.1, but am not certain with Win10.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

-----------------------------------------
Signature:

HP TouchPad - 1.2 GHz; 1 GB memory; 32 GB storage; WebOS/CyanogenMod 11(Kit Kat)

HP Omen 880-160se; i7-8700K; 16 GB DDR4 2400; GTX 1070-8 GB; 512 GB SSD M.2; Win 10 Home

HP Spectre 360 Convertible; i7-7560U; 16 GB memory; Intel® Iris™ Plus Graphics 640; 512 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD; 13.3" diagonal 4K UHD UWVA eDP BrightView WLED-backlit multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass (3840 x 2160); Windows 10 Pro 64 with Windows Ink

HP Photosmart 7520 AIO

++++++++++++++++++
**Click the Thumbs Up+ to say 'Thanks' and the 'Accept as Solution' if I have solved your problem.**

Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!

Provost
14028 1325 3145
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Activation

Helvi2

You can retrieve the OEM product key from your  PC by following these directions: Download Windows OEM Product Key Tool - MajorGeeks

But, you should NOT have to do this as genuine HP OEM PCs do not deactivate.

My guess is that the folks at Geek Squad messed up your PC and, if it were mine, I would take it back to Best Buy and complain bitterly!!

Good Luck

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.
========================================================================
If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!

If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation