cancel

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
nm464 Student
Student
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Add new 256GB SSD drive? any room or will it need to replace current 128gb

HP Pavilion 550-154na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

I am considering adding a 2nd SSD drive to run Windows from mainly because I seem to be running out of room at an alarming rate and assume its due to temp files or video temp files as I film a fair bit of video clogging up the space.

I am thinking of the Samsung 750 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive . I wanted to first ask is this possible or is there only room for one SSD and therefore I would need to replace the current 128gb?

I have created the recovery Media on a USB drive and assume all I need to do if its a straight swap is disconnet the current 128gb drive and then add the new drive? Any tips or advice or warnings doing this?

If its possible to add a 2nd SSD drive then I assume I could use the Samsung Migration software which I believe comes with the new SSD drive and then copy over the entire drives contents onto the new drive? Again any tips or advice much appreciated?

Many thanks for your help

0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
12360 12337 1165 2364
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Add new 256GB SSD drive? any room or will it need to replace current 128gb

Hi @nm464,

Good Day! Smiley Happy  Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums! Smiley Happy Hope you are doing well. Smiley Happy I reviewed the post and understand that you are looking for information to add another SSD to the PC. I’ll be really glad to assist you. Smiley Happy

Stupendous analysis. Brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. Smiley Happy It is always a genuine pleasure to work with customers that display great levels of technical expertise and skills. You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. It is a privilege to serve you. Smiley Happy

I reviewed the product specifications of the computer.

Motherboard specifications link: http://support.hp.com/gb-en/product/HP-Pavilion-500-Desktop-PC-series/8499648/model/9242957/document...

Upgrading and Servicing Guide: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04717087

Link for system recovery: http://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04758961 

Please select the most relevant option to perform a system recovery to factory settings.

HP does not recommend upgrades as the PC is designed and built by existing HP certified components for optimum performance. However as you are technically inclined, you could perform the upgrade at your discretion. 

Please contact a local Best Buy or Staples technician as several factors come into play including the form factor of the SSD. For data migration, It is suggested to contact a local technician again.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. Smiley Happy

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. Smiley Happy

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos

Note on archived topics.

This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant.
If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation