cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
PRoth
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post

Adding SATA hard drive bay - how to remove current door?

HP Recommended

I have a new Envy 700-030qe CTO.  I am adding an SATA hard drive bay, the kind that fits into a CD/DVD bay and allows you to slide in a hard drive (such as http://www.amazon.com/5-25in-Trayless-Mobile-Rack-3-5in/dp/B000KS8S9W/ref=pd_sim_pc_5).

All prior computers I have seen have allowed you to remove the "blank" piece of plastic over unsued media drive bays.  This tower seems to have a door and eject button that is built into the front bezel, and designed for a CD/DVD drive.  There doesn't seem to be a way to remove the door that is there in order to install a drive.  Unfortunately, I need the entire height of the bay for this hard drive slot.  How do I remove the door that is there?  Can I order a front panel that has one door and one full-height opening?  Do I have to saw off the door on the nice new front panel of this brand new computer?  There must be a better way!

Thanks.

0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,034 326 1,049
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hello PRoth. I understand you are trying to remove a door. Please reference this servicing guide, for this computer, for any information on this manual: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02871896.pdf

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
PRoth
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That manual was helpful, but it still didn't answer my question.  The door on the front cover (bezel) is designed for a CD/DVD drive only, but the device I am installing needs a bigger door.  The existing door is only tall enough for the tray with a DVD to come out, but I need an opening that is the full height of the bay.  Older computers, HP and others, allowed you to install a full-height device.  How can I install a device that needs a larger opening, that needs the full height of the bay to be open?  It has it's own door, I don't need the small one that is part of the bezel.

0 Kudos
SuperMario1
Retired
Retired
5,085 6,034 326 1,049
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

That opening you are looking for, does not exist on this computer. You would need to force it open, which is something not supported by our warranty, if you decide to do that. If the servicing manual says you cannot do something, it implies it can't be done to our support standards.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
0 Kudos
PRoth
Author
Level 1
9 6 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Now don't get all sanctimonious.   The manual doesn't say it cannot be done, and it doesn't say it can.  I was asking if HP had any way to support a full-height media drive, like selling a bezel with a normal sized opening.  Pretty much every other computer maker supports that, and HP used to.  Maybe HP has configurations that require a full-sized opening and has a bezel with a door like that.  It sound like you are saying that you are absolutely sure that HP does not offer a solution, such as a bezel with one or two full-sized doors or one with a removable door.  If you really did check for parts that would solve this problem, and not just wave an unhelpful manual around, then I guess the pre-sales support guy didn't know as much as you do, and I am stuck with a tower that has very limited expansion options.  Joy.

0 Kudos
ArchivedThis topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation